Condition of Trailer Ball

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

How’s that for a topic?! Needed some action around here.
    What are the opinions of trailer ball wear? My main 2″ has no chrome at the base and is pretty rusty all the way around but solid. Do they need to be smooth shiny chrome all over?

CaptainMusky

I dont think so. Mine is pretty nasty, but I just bought a new adjustable hitch so I will be using my old drop hitch anymore. I had an aluminum trailer that the ground wasnt very good and I had to grease the ball in order for the lights to work properly.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How’s that for a topic?! Needed some action around here.
    What are the opinions of trailer ball wear? My main 2″ has no chrome at the base and is pretty rusty all the way around but solid. Do they need to be smooth shiny chrome all over?

No

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

only if it bothers you that your Balls are not ” smooth shiny chrome all over ”
    Now them being a rusty all the way around. That may ne a slight problem rotflol

Stanley

I’ve got one rusty ball and one shiny chrome ball. The trailers don’t seem to care which one is used and they tow the same.

Ripjiggen

I’ve got one rusty ball and one shiny chrome ball. The trailers don’t seem to care which one is used and they tow the same.

What happened? Do you want to tell us about it? whistling

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I knew this topic would veer to the side of the road! jester
    But I got my answer. Thanks. Merry Christmas.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Fitting this is posted… friendly reminder… if you have a tilt bed trailer, check the bolts that it pivots on.. snapped one yesterday.. fun. Not doah

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

It’s a badge of honor. Lots of miles, lots of fishing, you’ve been there and back a few times.

SR

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

It’s a badge of honor. Lots of miles, lots of fishing, you’ve been there and back a few times.

SR

I recently got a new set of balls. Wanted an adjustable hitch. No more badge of honor.

I knew this topic would veer to the side of the road! jester
    But I got my answer. Thanks. Merry Christmas.

More like in the ditch! rotflol

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Wanted an adjustable hitch. No more badge of honor.

Don’t fret Joe, I replaced mine a couple years ago and it does not take long to get some wear in your balls and the badge of honor is back.

blank

Fitting this is posted… friendly reminder… if you have a tilt bed trailer, check the bolts that it pivots on.. snapped one yesterday.. fun. Not doah

That’s a great reminder! Happened to me last year when unloading a snowmobile off the trailer. The bed and tongue became completely seperated. So lucky it was done in the driveway and not somewhere else or on the road.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Keep the nut tight and watch for any rusted cracks at the base of the ball. They have been know to shear off at that point.

If there’s a push when coming to a stop or a pull when starting off, check that nut to ensure it’s not loose!

Stanley

@Ripjiggen
    We got a different truck and the receiver lock is froze on the old truck so I had to get a new ball and receiver. So one is rusty and the other shiny for now anyway.

stevenoak

There was a post a while back about locks to keep hitches from being stolen. If someone was to try to steal mine, the better have a tenuis shot. As far as the nut becoming loose. That would take a torch and impact on mine. Never seen a ball crack or break, even pulling stumps. I’ve removed several on vehicles that were rear ended, and the class c hitch destroyed, the ball was fine. Although we would replace for liability reasons. Only reason I could see to replace. If you’re that guy that waxes his boat. Not to say that’s wrong, just rather spend the day fishing.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Does it matter how big your balls are?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Does it matter how big your balls are?

Only matters how big of a “receiver” or “tongue” you have.

Ripjiggen

@Ripjiggen
    We got a different truck and the receiver lock is froze on the old truck so I had to get a new ball and receiver. So one is rusty and the other shiny for now anyway.

It was just a joke apparently a bad one. jester

Stanley

I knew it was a joke. Just didn’t want any confusion as to why my balls were different rotflol

Brittman

If you cannot see your reflection in the chrome – replace it.

Kidding.

Most of my trailer balls are pretty rusty.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I keep grease on my balls. shock

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Never seen a ball crack or break

Your first one.

Attachments:
    1. Hanging-on-to-trailer.jpg

2. Never-say-Never.jpg

3. Through-the-woods.jpg

Umy
    South Metro

I must be in the minority.
    I take my receiver hitch off ( It is locked on too) every time I put the boat away.
    I HATE rust. Do not like the look of it. I have a box right inside the tailgate where all that goes to stay dry. Takes me 2 extra minutes to pull it out an put it on each time I grab the boat ( avg 3 days per week).
    It also doesn’t catch on my driveway then either ( i have a steep approach).

No big deal.

munchy
    NULL

This post reminded me of this incident that happened a couple months ago. Truck was stuck so they hooked up a towstrap to the hitch of another truck and tried pulling it out. Hitch sheared off and the elasticity of the towstrap flung the hitch back through the windshield of the stuck truck into the head of the driver, killing him instantly, while his wife and kids were watching nearby. PLEASE, Don’t use a hitch to pull on anything besides a trailer. Get a hitch mounted shackle if you need something, and throw a tarp or blanket over the strap to keep it under control if something does happen.

Attachments:
    1. ryan-woods-truck-1663774497.jpeg

2. ryan-woods-trailer-hitch-1663773918.jpeg

3. Screenshot_20221221_095153.jpg

Coletrain27

That’s why when you’re using tow straps and jerking people out you always put your hood up on the vehicle being pulled out.

munchy
    NULL

That’s why when you’re using tow straps and jerking people out you always put your hood up on the vehicle being pulled out.

That helps but what if you’re pulling back to back? A tarp or blanket over the strap is always preferred. I also don’t trust a piece of thin sheet metal/aluminum protecting me from a chunk of steel flying at me at Mach 50.

Ripjiggen

I must be in the minority.
    I take my receiver hitch off ( It is locked on too) every time I put the boat away.
    I HATE rust. Do not like the look of it. I have a box right inside the tailgate where all that goes to stay dry. Takes me 2 extra minutes to pull it out an put it on each time I grab the boat ( avg 3 days per week).
    It also doesn’t catch on my driveway then either ( i have a steep approach).

No big deal.

You are not the only one. toast

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

That helps but what if you’re pulling back to back? A tarp or blanket over the strap is always preferred. I also don’t trust a piece of thin sheet metal/aluminum protecting me from a chunk of steel flying at me at Mach 50.

Well at least the hood would slow it down and give you some sort of protection. My friends wife almost died from the exact same thing

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I take my receiver hitch off

I take mine off when not in use either. I don’t use mine on a daily basis. In the open water boating season, about twice a week. Then again during deer season for a few days towing the ATV trailer.

My Father left his in all the time on the previous truck he had and it was stuck in there permanently. He tried to pull it out with another truck. He tried spraying it down with a rust inhibitor. He even took it to a shop and they tried heating it up with a torch and then tugging on it with a fork lift. He ended up selling that truck with the hitch in there.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

My wife likes holding my balls. She said I get in less trouble without stuff hanging from my back end.
    I found a little wheel bearing grease inside the female end of the receiver helps it from getting stuck.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.