Concrete Patio recommendation, NE Metro???

• Justin Donson

We’re looking to get some concrete work down at our house, wondering if anyone had any recommendations of companies/contractors they’ve had good luck with?

We have a short sidewalk(~30’ish) that goes from our driveway to our front door, it’s getting a bit worn down and more importantly, our front step has cracked and is starting to crumble. We also have a brick planter box off the front of our house that we’d like to remove as it’s leaning badly and is likely to start falling any day now.

Hoping to rip out the planter box, sidewalk, and front step, and put in a large walkway/patio instead. I could go get measurements, but it’d likely be something in the 30′ x 20′ ballpark, with a front step on there.

Not sure if we want to do brushed concrete, stamped, or some other decorative deal. Honestly don’t know a lot about what our options would be for something that’ll last a long time and isn’t a lot of maintenance.

We had one quote already, but it was like $17k, which was definitely more than I expected/hoped for.

I know we have a few concrete guys on here but I think bearcat does huge commercial stuff. If $17k is reality, then we’ll just need to suck it up, but was hoping we could find someone that could do it for a fair bit less than that.

Justin Donson

Oh, I should mention that cost included a couple drain systems for two gutters we have. They were going to have those gutters cut down underground and empty out further out in the yard somehow. Which is definitely something we’d love, as right now one of the gutters literally empties out on top of our driveway and leaves a super thick sheet of ice every winter.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Concrete work isn’t cheap. But putting drain tile under the slab and a sleeve to your gutter is what I would do as well. If you shoot me your contact info we can talk and walk you through some ideas and prices. I’ll save you money

MX1825

If putting gutter drains under concrete make sure you use schedule 40 PVC.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

30×20 is roughly 600 SF. We had a paver patio put in at 560 SF with a fire pit, raised seating wall, and lighting for $11,300.

We just (literally yesterday) had a 12×16.5 stamped and colored patio poured out back from the garage for $3,500.

Attachments:
    1. stamped.jpg

2. Patio.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If putting gutter drains under concrete make sure you use schedule 40 PVC.

Correct. Then drain tile from there buried under the yard

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Brown dog, why did you go paver patio over concrete ?

Justin Donson

This is super helpful, thank you everyone!

I know pouring concrete in a reliable fashion isn’t cheap, just wasn’t quite ready for the price tag!

I have a few PMs I’m gonna respond to, but the examples help give me a ballpark. I also know re-doing the front stoup adds a bit to the cost as I think that sits on / ties into the foundation of the house.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is super helpful, thank you everyone!

I know pouring concrete in a reliable fashion isn’t cheap, just wasn’t quite ready for the price tag!

I have a few PMs I’m gonna respond to, but the examples help give me a ballpark. I also know re-doing the front stoup adds a bit to the cost as I think that sits on / ties into the foundation of the house.

17k is a very high number. One of the numbers some one throws out to not get the job and if the customer accepts then they make big profit

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

For the main patio we decided to go with the pavers due to how wet it is back there. A creek used to run through our neighborhood, so some of the yards naturally hold moisture back there. We put the covered deck on ourselves and when I drilled for the sonnet tubes we went down 60″. When I pulled the auger out the tube filled to the top with residual water…it ultimately went away, but very wet.

The patio was to gain more usable space for the yard, as it just stays so wet back there…even days after a rain. It was so soupy back there. When we started to get bids on this there were multiple contractors who said pavers would be better than concrete due to the high likelihood of concrete cracking. Pavers can be pulled out and replaced/re-leveled which is why we went that route for that particular patio.

The poured concrete we went with a stamp pattern that matched the pavers as close as possible.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

For the main patio we decided to go with the pavers due to how wet it is back there. A creek used to run through our neighborhood, so some of the yards naturally hold moisture back there. We put the covered deck on ourselves and when I drilled for the sonnet tubes we went down 60″. When I pulled the auger out the tube filled to the top with residual water…it ultimately went away, but very wet.

The patio was to gain more usable space for the yard, as it just stays so wet back there…even days after a rain. It was so soupy back there. When we started to get bids on this there were multiple contractors who said pavers would be better than concrete due to the high likelihood of concrete cracking. Pavers can be pulled out and replaced/re-leveled which is why we went that route for that particular patio.

The poured concrete we went with a stamp pattern that matched the pavers as close as possible.

It all looks very nice.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Thanks Bearcat! We HATE being inside. 8 months out of the year our living room never gets used. If we are not on the boat somewhere, the backyard is where you can find us.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.