Concrete finish

• buck-slayer

My house is 45 yrs old the concrete apron and steps to house are in rough shape. Spalling of the concrete is an eye soar. Is there a coating that can be applied that will last and stand up to ice melt chemicals and freeze thaw conditions. Or do I have to tear out and replace? I could add 2″ of concrete on steps and still have that work with rise of the steps.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It will be incredibly hard to make anything stick and not re spaul during freeze and thaw. If you send me pictures over text I can look and give you a recommendation on what to do

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

You will probably find out it will be cheaper to remove and replace. IMO you should never apply chemicals to de ice concrete. It’s not the chemical that causes flaking its the freeze thaw cycles increasing that cause the damage. I always tell people keep some sand around if you have a slippery spot. If you pour new concrete increase the portland cement to at least a 7bag mix which will increase the surface strength.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m dealing with a lady who kept what appears to be 10 pounds of salt on her new apron all winter and it’s shailing really bad. I didn’t pour it but it’s my issue to fix it.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I put a 1/4-1/2″ layer of Quikrete Vinyl Patch on my front sidewalk about 20 years ago. I thought if if lasted a few years I would be happy.

Shockingly – – – Still in great shape.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

You will probably find out it will be cheaper to remove and replace. IMO you should never apply chemicals to de ice concrete. It’s not the chemical that causes flaking its the freeze thaw cycles increasing that cause the damage. I always tell people keep some sand around if you have a slippery spot. If you pour new concrete increase the portland cement to at least a 7bag mix which will increase the surface strength.

Salt is the devil. I cringe driving watching it fly off vehicles, equipment, and so on for 5 months out of the year thinking of the damage it does to vehicles, soil/lawns, watersheds, and infrastructure. I don’t really understand why it is so widely used in MN at such a high cost and with the damage it does. I’d be the first to support legislation getting that crap off our roadways.

Ash is the best thing I’ve found to use for some traction in and around the house. It’s free. It’s dark colored and absorbs sunlight to help melt, and it’s generally good for soils or yards it ends up in.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I don’t really understand why it is so widely used in MN at such a high cost and with the damage it does. I’d be the first to support legislation getting that crap off our roadways

Agreed. I will be the second to support it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.