Adipose fin clipping???

• airpart

I am going to Portland OR in October and decided to book a trip to catch some Chinook. In my talks with guides there is a difference of opinion on whether or not anyone can keep a Chinook. One guy told me that you can only keep a Chinook that has the adipose fin clipped, another told me it was for Coho, and another told me that the restrictions have been lifted for this year, and another told me that they (Chinook) were all catch and release. I’m confused!! I know that I will really enjoy catching big Chinook but I Love to eat them and would like to bring one home. Anyone know what the real deal is??

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Take me with and i’ll find out for u

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Here is the oregon fish and wildlife salmon, halibut, and sturgeon regulations, click HERE , and I think you will find your answer, it depends what section of river or ocean that u r fishing and some of the seasons differ.

Good Luck

airpart

Thanks for the link. I really don’t know what part of the river this guy is going to fish. He assures me that it is OK to keep 1 30 to 50 pound fish . How is that for a guarantee!!

Fishmojo
    Boring, Oregon

If you are fishing in for Chinook in October, the Columbia river run is pretty much done. You will probably be fishing in the bays or tidewater down at the coast.

Fall Chinook are not required to have a fin clip (most are natives of a healthy self-sustaining stock). You will be allowed 2 fish per day. If you are going with a guide, you better be booked soon. This is a popular fishery. Bring your best rain gear.

This also is some of the best walleye time on the Columbia.

Good Luck!

airpart

Thnks for the reply. We are going with a guide and have made our reservations. He told us that there was a limit of 1 fish, but that is OK. I am really looking forward to this trip.

Fishmojo
    Boring, Oregon

Do you mind saying who the guide is? I have a pretty knowledge of most of them.

airpart

His name is Dan Christopher of Quality Fishing. Know him?

Ray

airpart

Thanks for the info. I can’t wait for the trip even though I have to spend time “chatting” with my family during our trip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.