College Hockey post season

• Brittman

Two very good coaches looking to get that monkey (1st title) off their back.

Quiny coach went new school aggressive and pulled the goalie early.

Gopher coach went old school … play not to lose. Heck they were not even defending the neutral zone.

The balance between these two teams was too close. Playing on your heals vs. playing on your toes – likely would prove disastrous and it did.

In hockey the best defense is a strong offense. Keep the puck out of your own zone.

Or were the Quiny skaters in better condition ?

CaptainMusky

I didn’t like this matchup from the start but that was the gophers game to win and they sat back and didn’t keep the pressure on in the third and it killed them. You don’t win games playing not to lose. That’s on Motzko.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I don’t think you get outshot 14-2 in the third playing not to lose. They got outplayed the last half of the game and deserved to lose. Goph’s looked tired beginning in the 2nd.

stout93
    Becker MN

LOL

Biggest Choke artists in the history of all sports..

CaptainMusky

They didn’t push play. They were happy to just try not to lose vs trying to win and punish them. Terrible third.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just remember the the other teams players wanted to win also. The Gophers weren’t playing against a mite team.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What is that, 3 losses in a row now in the title game for the state of hockey? St. Cloud in 21, Mankato in 22, and Minnesota this year.

The 3 previous title games before 2021 were all represented by Duluth, who lost in 17, won in 18, and won in 19. 2020 was cancelled. So in the last 6 title games featuring a team from this state, the overall record is 2-6, with Duluth the only team able to win it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Being a “Minnesota” school has very little to do with anything other than Minnesota schools made the Frozen Four consistently.

Gophers had a very good season, Q had a better one.

gonefishin

Yes big bummer for the Gopher loss, my son and daughter and law were there and are still crying in their beers.

However it should not have come as a surprise and I was telling anyone who would listen that the Gopher style of play with trying to pass the puck to the blue line and hoping their offensive talent can work their magic was not going to work with Q playing a 1-3-1.

Give Q their credit, they deserved to win. They knocked out Ohio, Michigan, and the Gophers and none of these were fluke wins.

I think they had the number 1 defense, the number 3 offense, and number 2 or 3 goalie. So they deserved to be there and definitely the overall better team.

To me it was a coaching failure for Masko to have that much talent and not have a game plan that his highly skilled team could use to at least make it a close game. I don’t recall the Gopher’s in the 3rd period once having control of the puck in the offense zone 5 on 5. That is the worst beat down I have ever seen in a single period.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Looks like the purge has started, Knies and I think Faber signed NHL deals

ThunderLund78

Faber is going to look good in a Wild uni. My 15 year old son was beside himself with the loss. After going up 2-0 he said he’s never felt more sure of anything in his life that the Gophers were gonna win. I shook my head and said if you’re gonna watch MN sports, you got a LOT to learn… and he learned.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The championship game between Minnesota & Quinnipiac was the most watched NCAA title game in the last 12 years.

“Quinnipiac’s 3-2 overtime victory against Minnesota in the NCAA Division I men’s hockey championship on Saturday, April 8 drew an average of 808,000 viewers on ESPN2, making it the most-watched Frozen Four title game in 12 years, sportsmediawatch.com reported.

The game finished with a .40 rating, hitting 253,000 viewers in the age 18-49 group.

Saturday’s championship game at 7 p.m. CT aired as the NHL-leading Boston Bruins played the New Jersey Devils on ABC, a game that averaged 1.4 million viewers. Sports Media Watch reported it was the second-most watched NHL game this season behind the Winter Classic on TNT in January, which averaged 1.78 million.”

Gitchi Gummi

Pretty cool to see Faber up with the Wild last night. Something extra special when Minnesotans throw on the wild jersey.

ThunderLund78

Pretty cool to see Faber up with the Wild last night. Something extra special when Minnesotans throw on the wild jersey.

What a roller coaster of emotions in about 4 days… Make the title game, Lose the title game, sign in the NHL, Start in the NHL… for your home team.

Good for the kid!

CaptainMusky

He looked very good too! Knies played his first for Toronto last night and had a goal taken away from him. Still got the assist though.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.