College Football

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

The Nebbies did get caught with their pants bunched up. It was sad to see, my SIL and BIL were happy as they have lived in the Peoria area since college. Both are graduates from Iowa State.

Yes I’m nervous about our start this year as the first 2 games may tell the story for my Hawks.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

As far as I am concerned… and yes, I am biased, there is no better atmosphere that a night game in Iowa City and the first cord of Back in Black hits across the PA and the swarm comes out! That and every time the wave makes me proud to be a Hawkeye!

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

My neighbor used to kick for the Huskers in the late 70’s. Straight on kicker, Kevin Seidel. He kicked in the USFL for the Chicago Blitz for a couple years. We followed the Huskers big time. When they drilled Florida and Spurrier in the Orange Bowl, or whatever the championship game was,was awesome. Same running play for 12 yards evertime. The line was incredible. Was at the Gophers-Penn State game a couple years ago. Almost shed a tear. That was fun. We should be decent this year.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Well….not a good start for my squad. Favored to beat Illinois and look like a b squad team with all the mistakes. Scott Frost may not make it through the year if they don’t beat some teams they aren’t supposed to.

Hope the gophs put up a fight against THE Ohio state this weekend.

How is Adrian Martinez still their QB? He’s gotta be like a 6th year senior, surprised Frost hasn’t brought in someone else. Rumor I’m hearing from Nebraska is Frost has some side action with a country club beer cart girl that is taking up a lot of his attention…seriously.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Nebraska hasn’t had a good qb since Eric crouch. Look at all the big time programs….stud qb every year.

Who knows about frost. I’m just hoping urban Meyer screws the pooch with the jags and comes back to the big 10.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Urban can stay in the NFL or just retire. Surprised he came back to coaching because he has had a ton of health issues. That could cause him to leave the NFL.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Looking forward to the Gophers game tonight, I think they have a punchers chance if Mo Ibrahim and that big and old offensive line can get things rolling.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I truly hope it turns in to a great game. I’m excited to watch it

stout93
    Becker MN

Watching the Gophs…..

Isn’t it amazing that there are basically no offsides or false starts…and you see this pretty consistently in the college game.

Whereas, in the NFL there are at least 4-5 of these penalties every game. Heck, Everson Griffen was good for one offsides a game by himself..

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Mo Ibrahim, I hope his injury tonight is not season ending.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Mo Ibrahim, I hope his injury tonight is not season ending.

I agree….kid is a beast and the gophs need him. He looked great last night.

ThunderLund78

I don’t know about Ibrahim – did you watch his calf muscle basically snap at one end in the slow motion replay? I couldn’t believe he was walking on it even in a boot, but I bet it stiffened up good over night. Hope it’s not as bad as it looked.

Welder guy

Sounds to be true on Frost and his young friend, wife left as well, hes done. He never lived up to his mouth,even as a Nebraskan I find it hilarious.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If it is true he’ll be gone…wonder if Moos knew this thing was gonna fall apart so he left.

Luke Fickell at Cinci and Matt Campbell ay ISU would be great choices but not sure they would leave.

CaptainMusky

I fear that Ibrahim tore his Achilles. That is what it looked like to me and the fact he was in a boot and walking would completely make sense.
    That was an entertaining game last night. I didnt like some of the Gopher play calling with the wildcats and that transfer receiver looks to be pretty damn good!
    Too bad Autman Bell was out. That would have given them another threat, their most seasoned WR for sure.
    They pushed them to the ropes at the end of the first half, but that sack fumble TD and a couple long pass plays killed them. The OSU QB when pressured was sure frazzled. They needed to ramp up the blitz more I think.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Lotta great games today…the penn state v. Wisconsin game should be good.

Georgia and Clemson should also be a good one.

It’s days like today I kinda hope for an all day rain!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There are more great week 1 matchups than I can ever remember.

Badgers vs Penn State
    Indiana vs Iowa
    Clemson vs Georgia

We’ve got some wings going on for the Badgers game, then we’ll be heading out on the tritoon for a few hours of cocktails before a nightcap of Clemson and Georgia.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

There are more great week 1 matchups than I can ever remember.

Badgers vs Penn State
    Indiana vs Iowa
    Clemson vs Georgia

We’ve got some wings going on for the Badgers game, then we’ll be heading out on the tritoon for a few hours of cocktails before a nightcap of Clemson and Georgia.

That sounds like a helluva day you have planned!

Dink buster

The atmosphere at camp randle was electric! So much so that I don’t even care that the badgers probably eliminated themselves from any sort of title, big ten or otherwise after week 1.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I wasn’t surprised with Penn St, I was surprised that the Badgers didn’t look and play better.

Taking away the 3 pik 6’s Iowa had at opportunity, Iowa won by 7. Hawks offence seemed medioker, defence however was Top Shelf!

Iowa State, better get their offence fixed quick, Hawkeyes will be traveling to Ames next week. Clones escaped the upset that I was looking for to happen by the way they were playing.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i wish i could get into FBS but pro for me. pro ball, any team has a chance to win. college has what…..12 teams out of 200 that are stacked and the rest is a cinderella story. not enough competitive balance for me.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

i wish i could get into FBS but pro for me. pro ball, any team has a chance to win. college has what…..12 teams out of 200 that are stacked and the rest is a cinderella story. not enough competitive balance for me.

Not yesterday…6 FCS schools beat FBS programs including Montana over #20 Washington.

A lot of great games…both big ten and other conferences. Great start to the season.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So are the cupcakes off the schedules now? How will these teams get over .500 without the auto-wins?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Tough loss for UW. It’s hard to believe that they gave up 40 total yards of offense in the first half yet still did not have a lead. As always, the Badgers defense should be a top 10 unit, but their offense is average at best.

All around college football there were a lot of “ugly” games, specifically offensively. Clemson, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Penn State, Georgia, Indiana all looked like ranked teams that will struggle to put up points against any solid competition. Iowa scored quite a few points as a result of their defense. I’m not convinced their offense will put up enough points for them to be more than mediocre either.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

So are the cupcakes off the schedules now? How will these teams get over .500 without the auto-wins?

The big programs and conferences are realizing they can’t schedule cupcakes and still make the playoffs. Many are scheduling other FBS schools versus the lower level schools.

They’re also starting conference games sooner which I think is great.

It’s a great strategy when you win….but I’ll bet Clemson isn’t so happy they got beat by Georgia.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Tough loss for UW. It’s hard to believe that they gave up 40 total yards of offense in the first half yet still did not have a lead. As always, the Badgers defense should be a top 10 unit, but their offense is average at best.

All around college football there were a lot of “ugly” games, specifically offensively. Clemson, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Penn State, Georgia, Indiana all looked like ranked teams that will struggle to put up points against any solid competition. Iowa scored quite a few points as a result of their defense. I’m not convinced their offense will put up enough points for them to be more than mediocre either.

Bucky, I can’t disagree at all with you. We will see what next week brings. Seems like it has taken Iowa a game or two to get a feel what the year will hold for them. At least that holds true for the offence, the defence on the other hand is LOOK OUT!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree on the competitive balance part. The NFL has incredible parity that college football, as a whole, does not have. I still do enjoy a good college game though and the atmosphere is usually better in person too.

There seems to be about 5 teams that legitimately have a chance to win the college football playoff every season. Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Ohio State are usually on that list.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

Not yesterday…6 FCS schools beat FBS programs including Montana over #20 Washington.

A lot of great games…both big ten and other conferences. Great start to the season.

by default I was a gophers fan back in the Mason era. not going thru that deception ever again. just not fair playing the badgers or buckeyes so why would anyone put themselves thru the punishment? a team that has not been competitive in 100 years! anyone who can proudly say they are a gopher fan, you guys are the most loyal fans in the world no doubt! I just can’t get over the talent gap from a team like OSU to the gophers. OSU probably has guys on the bench that were higher recruits than the starters at the U of M. Not fair and not for me.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Graham Mertz looked awful and the O line was getting beat constantly. Some of his decision making in the red zone was just dumb and he couldn’t hand the ball off. He kept giving the running backs the ball in their chests. Penn State is good but the Badgers should have won that game and gave it away. Gonna be interesting to how the season plays out. Apparently Chase Wolf was better than Mertz in camp some of the reports I’ve read and on Saturday it looked to be so.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.