Cold Weather Suit

• Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I’m a bit out of the loop on cold weather bibs and jacket used for fishing fall, winter and early spring. Back in the day it was insulated Cabelas Guide Ware and Sno-Suites.

So, what brand and styles are people liking or would buy again?

CBMN
    North Metro

A lot of options out there these days and I’m not up on the past few years but I went to striker float gear a few years ago and am very happy. I don’t ice fish much anymore but do wear my striker predator bibs on cold fall and spring outings and all winter down on pool 2 and they work great for me with the additional benefits of flotation. I have the predator suit and climate suit and find the climate suit is a bit bulky and often to warm for my liking. The climate suits have removable liners and the predator does not. They are not coast guard rated so you still need to have a pfd of your preference.

Several other manufacturers also now have flotation added to them.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Are you using it for ice fishing or open water?

I think Ice gear is too heavy for open water in the winter. I layer up and usually use my rain gear as the outer layer to keep the wind off me.

I have a pair of Duluth trading snow pants. They are actual pants that are wind and water proof. I’ll just throw a base layer under them. And really good socks.

My core is never the issue. Usually 3 layers and a wind proof jacket.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have 2 for sale in the classifieds.

castle-rock-clown

Not marketed towards fishing, but Klim is a top notch Powersports clothing manufacturer. I just upgraded to a set of gore Tex bibs and jacket. Only drawbacks are non flotation and no hood. Warranty is very good, very good venting, guaranteed wind proof and waterproof. My older ice gear are full sets of earlier Frabill ice suit (very warm but limits movement, no flotation) and their Sno Suit ( excellent features, almost as good as gortex, very warm and windproof, very good venting, good movement)

There are lots to choose from. My nephew has the Striker Predator and he chills easily, but says the suit keeps him warm, he loves it.

mojogunter

I have had an Arctic Armor grey insulated suit that was pretty warm waterproof and lasted for several years. Then got a frabil suit and that was really warm, the seams came apart mostly in the jacket. For the price I was not impressed. I now have a Simms insulated suit and so far it has been great, and very lightweight compared to the others. I haven’t had it a year yet so durability is yet to be determined. I have a Klim for snowmobiling and I really like that jacket as well.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Klim is what I would go with if I bought another

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I really like my Striker Climate bibs and coat. Super warm, floats, comfortable.

Scott

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I wear a mustang survival suit for open water in the winter. I love it. There is a break-in period but overall very comfortable and warm. I’ve worn it ice fishing and it’s too much for lots of walking in all but the coldest conditions.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I really like my Striker Climate bibs and coat. Super warm, floats, comfortable.

Scott

X2 on Striker Climate. 3 years now and no complaints

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I own the climate as well. Like it but way to bulky

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.