Cold snap and it's effects

• shawnil

I’m thinking Saturday I’ll finally hit the river for a little maiden voyage. Figured while I’m at it I’d take a few live baits along for the ride…have no idea how the flatheads are going to be affected by the sudden cold snap this week. (shallow, deep, live bait, cut bait, etc). Any thoughts?

(btw, the thumbnail is showing the overnight low temps… Fri/Sat looking at a high of 73 deg.)

Attachments:
    1. 5-19-2015-9-54-58-AM.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It effects me…I say to myself…”it’s a long summer yet”.

Won’t be the first time I was wearing my snosuit for the ride home.

shawnil

Yeah, I should plan have a hoodie and maybe another jacket packed plus long johns (i’m thinking). You know hot coffee in the thermos. Good point BK!

mr-special
    MPLS

was out last night and they were still biting. missed 8 runs but did land a few fish. biggest was 39×25 29.5lbs
    im tryin all different types of hooks, rigs setups to help my hookup percentage but nothing is wokring that great. tough yr so far on hookup ratio. thinkin hand grenades lol

sorry no pix right now cz my buds phone Verizon and my phone At&T dont seem to like each other lol
    but yes bring a hoodie cz when that sun went dwn it was a tad chilly. i shouldve worn ice fishing gear lol

shawnil

Got pretty nice again this afternoon, couple more sunny warm days sure can’t hurt! Just those dropping temps overnight…thinking I’ll try to get over to the launch a little while before dusk so I can get some baits in the water before the temps start to drop.

mr-special
    MPLS

39×25 29.5lbs wednesday nite
     photo 39x25295lbs052015.png

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Where ya targeting right now? Don’t need GPS coordinates, but deep holes along mud, rocks? Shallow, open flats? What water temp up there? What time(s) were they biting? Thinking of having a go myself this weekend.

mr-special
    MPLS

ive been targeting places with current. usually depth wise i like to fish 8-15fow but have caught a couple in 4fow lately.
    inside or outside bends has been good lately, esp if it has structure such as snags, logs jam, deeper hole on it. ive only gotten to fish in the evenings at bout 630pm-12, best bite seems 830-1030 but have gotten bites through out the nite. water temp is about 60 where im at.

shawnil

I swear forces of the universe were conspiring against me yesterday… couldn’t catch the bait i wanted, never got my outboard put back together (but I did get my garden planted), etc.

Ended up hitting the river with the electric motor and suckers from the bait shop (which I don’t really like using for flatheads). Water temp was ready 68 degrees as last as midnight. Got a real nice channel cat early and a 29″ flathead a little after midnight. I was fishing man-made structure in about 7′ of water (which is pretty deep for the pool I was fishing).

Both fish buried the rods in the holder.

Attachments:
    1. 11262435_1129152147110954_8923990952624841646_n.jpg

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Struck out myself on bait. Couldn’t catch a bluegill to save my a$$. Rain and more rain will now keep me off the water for a bit.

Grizper

Just pray its not like last year and the river stops rising. I swear pool 2 was at action stage until July last year. I can’t handle another year like that😨

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.