Clutter on LX-9

• Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Hello,

Does anyone else get tons of clutter on the screen of the digital Marcum graphs. I am guessing it has something to do with the water/air in the line but dont know for sure. It seems after I fish a hole for a few minutes it clears up, but is very annoying when you mark fish right away and then when you throw your bait down the hole the whole screen is covered in clutter. I was using 832 ice braid, fishing 7 fow, separation was on 2, sensitivity on 3. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I have something which may pertain to you or may be totally off base! Could it be ice on the bottom of the ducer, I’ll often get a thin layer of ice that forms when I’m hopping holes and makes the unit get a little wacky but after 5-10 minutes in the water the ice melts and my problem is resolved.

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

I have had that happen, but that was not the cause the other night. I was using the same hole all night, using a larger rattle bait to call fish in then throwing a buck shot at them to get them to commit. Every time I switched set ups I would get the clutter. It has to be something with the line I would think.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Do you have the new software update from Marcum? I installed it on my LX-6 before the season and am noticing the same thing, even after playing with the settings. I realize they are two different units and models, but I did not see this problem last year.

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Yeah it has the newest software on it. I never use to have this problem either, so maybe it is something with that.

schoff
    S.E., SD

Are you using braided line or mono?

hamms
    Mn

Could be picking up your line if iced up?

gimp

sounds like another reason you should use a vexilar.

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

I am using Braid. I didnt notice any ice on the line, and it happens right when I take the poles out of the rod locker so I really doubt that, that is the reasoning. I dont think I will ever go back to a Vexilar, Marcum with a little clutter is still better than a Vex, IMHO.

munchy
    NULL

I’ve had this happen as well. It is air bubbles stuck to the fibers of the line. If you are having the problem reel up and run the line through your thumb and index finger. It seems to help reorient the fibers which breaks the surface tension and helps it shed the air.

I’ve also thought about coating the line with silicone spray to help break the surface tension, but haven’t gotten around to experimenting with it.

BTW- this first started happening on my FL8 and my buddies FL18, still happens with my LX3, and most certainly will continue happening with the LX7 I have on order. And even if it was only happening on Marcums it isn’t enough to ever make me go back to the annoying hum of a Vex. ;)

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

hijack for a sec: Is Marcum noise free?

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

hijack for a sec: Is Marcum noise free?

LX6, 7 and 9 are silent. The LX3 and 5 as well as VX1 have some noise but nowhere near as loud as a Vexilar.

wgorby
    Greenville, Michigan

Love the quietness of my LX7…my old VX1 would drive me insane after awhile…i have a 20′ rule for my buddies that use Vex’s )

munchy
    NULL

My LX3 is virtually silent with a faint motor sound if you listen closely. Vexs sound like nails on a chalkboard. I’m in a factory setting for 70+ hours a week, I want silence when on the ice. I also pitched the Mr heater cooker for a buddy because of the noise as well.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I’ve only had this happen with braided line or frosted up mono, I think Munchy is on it with the bubbles in the braid. It usually only lasts about 30 seconds or so for me. When I’m doing a lot of hole hopping or switching out lines in the same hole I’ve been able to limit its effect by changing the target size and sensitivity to the most effective settings while the line is still bubbling. Usually this consists of a lower sensitivity with a higher target size, sometimes even a lower ping rate. If using 6 color mode, a switch to one of the 3 color modes can fix it too, hope that helps!
    I used to have the same problem only worse with my Vex, but I just had to wait it out or turn down the gain until I could hardly even see my bait. It sure is nice having the ability to fine tune all your settings with the digitals!

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Thanks, guys, I was out the other night and messed with the sens, and target and that seemed to help. I have not tried to go to the three color, I will try that this weekend. Also, the LX-9 is silent and easy to look at all day/night. If you buy one I doubt you will ever go back to a Vex.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.