Clueless on mono

• dirtywater

I’ve fished primarily braid w/ flouro leaders for a while now. It just works for me I guess. Received a new spinning setup this spring and figure I may as well try something different. Last time I ran mono it was trilene, nothing fancy. Looking for a step up maybe. How is the suffix advance stuff for open water walleye fishing? Slip floats, little rigging, little casting cranks. Thanks!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Suffix Elite has been good to me for many years.I tried the Advance on spinning reels and did’nt care for it.I thought it had to much memory.I use it on some bait casters and like it on them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Stren Magnathin is the only mono I’ll put on a spinning reel. I’m not sure about it being a step up from anything, it just plays the best on a spinning reel compared to any other mono I’ve found.

Charles

Braid to Mono Trilene XL is what I use if I am using mono.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Magnathin has been my mono for walleye for many, many years.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

So many of my buddies never run mono and mock me for doing it, but I don’t mind for certain applications. Any slip bobber rods are spooled with mono, along with any rod that might rig live bait or even jig/vertical jig (shallow). Magnathin has done well for me in all those applications. I like the forgiveness of mono and the cost. It may not have the same sensitivity as the latest, greatest braid…but I’m not trying to feel a 10″ sauger nibble in a midwinter wheelhouse on LOTW in 32′ of water either.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

maxima chameleon is the only mono ill use.

stevenoak

Seems like I see way more cottonwood seeds all summer on a couple lakes I fish a lot. Them and braid are a bad combination. I’ve gone to Gama copolymer when it gets bad. With mono, floro or copolymer spool memory can be an issue. But if before you fish. Hook your lure to something solid. Walk out an amount of line beyond your farthest cast distance. Lock your spool and stretch the line tight and hold it for 30 seconds. The warmer the weather the better. If you have line twist from a lure. Remove the lure and drag the empty line behind the boat for couple minutes. Slow and half the spool. Too fast can spool you off if you’re not careful. With a little maintenance, there are advantages. The extra stretch helps avoid pulling hooks from crappies and skin hooked fish.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

My bobber rods get Trilene XL and I go back and forth every few years having a jigging rod for walleyes set up with mono. For early/shallow applications it works just fine IMO. I tried the Suffix Advance and liked how it performed similarly to Flouro in the stretch department, but it was too coily for my liking.

Deuces

Really been enjoying suffix advanced. Coming from sensation it was a high bar to beat. Tiny bit less sensitive, but much more manageable. Have it on my rigging rod and longer pan fish rod, everything else gets braid w leaders

Aboxy17

Suffix advanced is what I use also. I pretty much use Suffix for everything. The only time I use Mono anymore if slip bobbers for walleye.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve been using sufix advance too the last 2 seasons. I only use it on a couple of my bait casters though, not on spinning. I also use sufix elite, but advance seems to have a little better abrasiveness to it and a little less stretch.

As others have stated, it does tend to coil though.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I have been using Yo-Zuri hybrid 6 lb the past couple years. Its a copolymer that you can get a 600yrd spool for like $13. I perfer hi viz line and this is the best value I have found. They sell it in either clear or a hi viz yellow

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Suffix Elite for me.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Elite in the Suffix line , hated Advanced. Still a XL guy at heart though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.