Clueless KS Boys Taking a Last Minute Muskie Hunt To the MN Metro

• Andrew Johnson

Well 2020 is a year we may want to forget in a lot of ways, but we are all making the best of it. I like many of you I’m sure watched my annual muskie hunt to Ontario fall apart, so we are pivoting and heading up to Minnesota for an extended weekend Muskie Hunt. My group is from Kansas City (GO CHIEFS!) and we are looking for some advice on what lake is hot right now for Muskie action. We are staying with a friend in Ramsey, MN the weekend of Sept. 23rd. We are leaning towards Minnetonka based on our research of prior year Metro Muskie tourney results :). Any other Metro lakes we should consider?

Wesley Trebesch

Not a muskie fisherman but Independence is pretty decent muskie lake I think.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I know Waconia use to have decent #’s and some real BIG fish as well. Been years since I’ve lived in the Metro so not sure if it still does or not. Minnetonka is a rather big body of water and from what I hear the Muskie tend to be spread out all over the lake. Good luck to you and hope you can have a fun trip and get a few good ones. Be sure to post a followup of how the trip went.

ryan hunt

Do not overlook Mille Lacs. From Ramsey your only about an hour and 20 drive to the lake. Otherwise yes Minnetonka would be your go to in the metro.

shady5

I think Harriett and Calhoun have populations.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Go the extra little ways and hit Mille Lacs. You have a chance to make memories there.

39degrees

In my opinion minnetonka, white bear, and bald eagle have the best mix of size and numbers. Third week of september minnetonka will still be bumper boats. Others mentioned mille lacs – Once again my opinion, the numbers there are very low compared to 10-20 years ago but the chance at a true giant is real. If you go to mille lacs, that time of year i would fish the rock piles in the south end with bulldogs/medusas, or troll big cranks on the same structure. Good luck!!!!!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I think Harriett and Calhoun have populations.

Yes, they do and are often overlooked.

However, you’re challenged with the surrounding urban environment and the parking headaches and traffic and such…you’re right in Minneapolis.

If I’m not mistaken, gas motors are not allowed either.

I would lean toward this recommendation…vvv

In my opinion minnetonka, white bear, and bald eagle have the best mix of size and numbers. Third week of september minnetonka will still be bumper boats. Others mentioned mille lacs – Once again my opinion, the numbers there are very low compared to 10-20 years ago but the chance at a true giant is real. If you go to mille lacs, that time of year i would fish the rock piles in the south end with bulldogs/medusas, or troll big cranks on the same structure. Good luck!!!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lake Minnetonka is the largest body of water with pure strain muskies in the metro region and will offer the most fishable habitat. Depending on the weather, there may still be a fair amount of boat traffic. Fishing at night time is a viable option.

Otherwise other smaller lakes have already been mentioned in the area too. White Bear and Bald Eagle are options nearby. About 12 lakes are also stocked with tiger muskies in the metro area.

Mille Lacs has the highest ceiling, as it has the largest fish in the state. However, be prepared to spend a lot of time fishing and not catching. The density of the muskie population is very low there and it will be difficult. More difficult than the other bodies of water nearby.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Keep driving, they’ve been doing well on Vermilion. And business owners up here could use the dollars you might spend

tim hurley

Well ok if they are going to send you way up to ML for a chance at something in the 50s, Ill suggest Bone in Wisconsin, great numbers. They suggested a lot of lakes that can be really hot or really not (fishing right) but your original idea to go to ‘tonka makes sense, it is a lot of lakes in one, clear dark in between, have good instinks? you can figure something out-keep your sense of humor too, it aint wilderness fishing.

catmando
    wis

Don’t forget Forest Lake. I hear theirs a few in there.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you are willing to travel a few hours I’ll throw another option out there. Lake Alexander is somewhat a sleeper lake for both #’s and size. A lot less fishing pressure than some of the other lakes.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Don’t forget Forest Lake. I hear theirs a few in there.

That it does, although very near there is Clear Lake. Though not really that clear, it has good numbers of tigers…stocked of course.

The more I put this to thought, no where near the metro I know but I’d go to the Hayward lakes region.

So many options and so many muskies and some good one’s to make that worth the journey.

Ripjiggen

Go the extra little ways and hit Mille Lacs. You have a chance to make memories there.

Hire a guide if you are just going for a weekend. Big lake, Monster fish, not big numbers however.

Attachments:
    1. A17FD5CD-541B-4405-9867-DE411AAF8B2E.jpeg

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Clueless musky fisherman here who goes to Canada and throws muskie size lures at northerns. So I have the gear and decided to try minnetonka and have about 3-4 trips under my belt. Only caught one small 36″ muskie but moved fish every trip. Biggest was maybe a 44″. Minnetonka is a big lake and yes lots of boats but never presented any problems hindering my fishing. On side note caught the biggest largemouth bass I have ever caught on a double cowgirl.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Would the St. Croix river be an option? It might be crazy busy with big cruisers in the afternoons if the weather is nice.

Andrew Johnson

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the ideas and recommendations. We’re going on the cheap b/c one guy in the group has had a lot of auto bills that tanked his budget. So staying in Ramsey with a friend is our only option this year. Just launched my boat this week (18ft bass boat which will rule out Mille Lacs if a slight breeze kicks up…) and its leaking bad for from somewhere in the live-well system… its always something with boats. For now just plugging the intake should fix it. Lake Alexander and Bone are in the running along with Tonka. Anybody have a suggestion for a local guide? I’m thinking of getting the first day guided and just cover my buddies portion of the guide bill. Guide on Sept. 25th (Friday) Thanks again!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you end up fishing Alexander and putting in a full day and need to take a lunch or dinner break and have a cold one. There is Several restaurants on the lake. The Castaway club is on the North side of the lake on the West end. You can boat right up and walk in. The other restaurant is called the landing. It is located on the far East side of the lake. I cant say for sure but would assume they also have a dock for restaurant use. There are several boat landings on the lake. I would use the one on the West end. Good luck wherever you decide to go.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.