Clam x600 versus otter vortex resort

• Brian Wenzel

Looking at getting one of these two. Any recommendations on which one to go with?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

No experience with either. But I have the new resort hub and love it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The X series hubs are really nice. Fished out of a few of them. Lots of room and set up really quick. I’ve heard very good things about the otters too. I’d try to find a place that has both and you can check them out side by side and see what you think.

buddah6

Same dilemma last year for me. I’m 6’7″ and the clam had a couple extra inches of head room. The main reason I settled on the clam is its 900 denier fabric vs. 600 on the otter. I’ll take an extra layer all day when it’s-20. So far so good, did some overnights and it was toasty warm last winter

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Another plus with going with a Clam X600 is that you have the option to buy the insulated floor for it. This is nice if fishing with little kids or if you like to overnight camp on the ice as it adds another layer of insulation right on the ice.

I looked at both at hardwater expo and ended up going with Otter as did buddy. Otter seemed to be a bit better constructed (but maybe the Otter rep did a better job of selling vs. the Clan rep.)

Being vertically challenged, the fact the Otter was shorter did not matter to me but the doors are smaller which I did not like as well but if I lost a few (quite a few) pounds, probably would not even notice.

I did like that is was shorter in terms of saving a little space on smitty sled or wherever transporting – but minor issue.

Would never even consider using a floor – but that is just me. I would think that these would turn into a slip and slide and get totally trashed by ice cleats and would be just one more thing to f with in the cold – just my two cents.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve got the Vortex Lodge Hub (one size smaller than the resort) and it seems extremely durable. I haven’t come across a reason to go with anything different. It has room for all the gear imaginable and 2 people fishing 2 holes each. It works for 3 as well if you are willing to leave a couple of the bigger items outside. 4 people would be a big stretch unless fishing one hole each or sitting watching tip-ups/ifish pros.

I do regret missing out on the full doors on the new “Pro” version of the Lodge Hub by one year though. I’m also in the camp of thinking a floor is not worth the chaos unless you’re trying to sleep in it. It’d get tore up, covered with minnows and bait, froze in, and be a pain to deal with. On a day with less than 10mph winds, I will leave my Lodge open and just walk with it from the inside for a good 30-40 yards per move without issues. If I went through the work to set up a floor and get it all down even, I’d never move.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve got the Vortex Lodge Hub (one size smaller than the resort) and it seems extremely durable. I haven’t come across a reason to go with anything different. It has room for all the gear imaginable and 2 people fishing 2 holes each. It works for 3 as well if you are willing to leave a couple of the bigger items outside. 4 people would be a big stretch unless fishing one hole each or sitting watching tip-ups/ifish pros.

I do regret missing out on the full doors on the new “Pro” version of the Lodge Hub by one year though. I’m also in the camp of thinking a floor is not worth the chaos unless you’re trying to sleep in it. It’d get tore up, covered with minnows and bait, froze in, and be a pain to deal with. On a day with less than 10mph winds, I will leave my Lodge open and just walk with it from the inside for a good 30-40 yards per move without issues. If I went through the work to set up a floor and get it all down even, I’d never move.

I have a buddy with the floor. It has been a nightmare every time I’ve fished with him. Let alone the time he camped over night. We chisled that thing for like 3 hours.
    The otter in my opinion is the better option.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.