Clam Drill Plate Headache

• buddah6

Just to save someone the trouble I thought I would fill everyone in on my findings. I bought a clam drill plate and have the new Milwaukee fuel M18 with 1200#’s of torque. The drill plate requires you to take off the chuck to make it work. This drill will not work with the older drill plate because even though it has a 1/2 inch chuck it now has a 9/16 arbor because of the higher torque. But this years model of the drill plate allows you to keep the chuck on. I found all this out via a Clam rep. Basically they have 2 different versions of the drill plate on the market. The model I have which is #9497 is last years, it has a picture of a dewalt drill on the box. This years model is #9935 and shows just a blank gray drill on the box and allows you to keep the chuck on the drill. Not very happy with Clam and wish they would let everyone know before you buy… Rant over

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Did you return and get the chuck-on model? Seems like that’s all you would have to do.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Looks like Clam is very clear that the new plate is new and different.
    From Clam’s web page;
    “Model #: 9935
    Clam’s ice auger conversion kit allows an angler to use an 18 volt cordless drill as the “power” to drill your holes. Extremely lightweight & portable it has changed ice fishing forever. Patents pending. NEW for 2015 is the ability to use your drill without taking the chuck off. Same great results as the original design but more user friendly. Results will vary depending on drill used. Recommend using high torque 18 volt lithium battery powered drills.

Did you order a 9935 directly from Clam and receive a 9497? Or did a retailer not supply you with the model you ordered?

buddah6

I ordered it form a 3rd party retailer. Just was not aware that there are multiple versions of the product is all. Yes I can return it but then have to hunt down a current model.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

what you ended up getting was a retailers carry over from last year. the plate has been out four seasons now (this year being the fourth). each of the years were a little different version until this year which was a big change. here is the break down of the versions of the plate :

1st year had no rubber coating on the handles, short attachment bracket.
    2nd year they added the rubber coating to the handles, that was the only change that year.
    3rd year (last years plate) same as year 2 but had a taller bracket to hold more of a variety of drills.
    4th Year (this years model) redesigned on the top side so that you don’t need to remove the chuck. in doing this is made the attachment plate even a little taller then last years bracket. this is because of the extra space needed for the chuck of the drill.

also so there is no misunderstanding like there has been on other sites . the Clam plate regardless of which version still only uses a hand auger and should be used with nothing larger then a 6 inch auger. It was originally designed around using a 6 inch auger with the plate. there was talk on another site where a person though they could use the auger off their power auger but they can’t as the shaft diameter is different. they though this because they heard the words “Redesigned”. the redesign was how the drill attaches with the chuck on the drill still. that is the only thing that changed, not the shaft size like some though.

fisherman-andy

Just to save someone the trouble I thought I would fill everyone in on my findings. I bought a clam drill plate and have the new Milwaukee fuel M18 with 1200#’s of torque. The drill plate requires you to take off the chuck to make it work. This drill will not work with the older drill plate because even though it has a 1/2 inch chuck it now has a 9/16 arbor because of the higher torque.

So the 2nd gen M18 doesnt have a threaded spindle like the 1st gen? Certainly doesnt look like that from the service parts diagram.

From the looks of it the 2nd gen chuck should come off and your should be able to screw on the clam adapter.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2015-12-02-at-1.58.15-PM.png

buddah6

It does come off but its a 9/16 arbor on the 2nd gen, the 1st gen is 1/2 which is compatible with the adapter. The 9/16 is not, Milwaukee had to change the size on the 2nd gen because of the much higher torque.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

So this kit doesn’t come with the auger?
    Just the plate?

buddah6

Right, you can buy just the plate or the whole setup with auger included..

fisherman-andy

It does come off but its a 9/16 arbor on the 2nd gen, the 1st gen is 1/2 which is compatible with the adapter. The 9/16 is not, Milwaukee had to change the size on the 2nd gen because of the much higher torque.

I see, i was confused by what you meant via arbor. So the chuck spindle is actually 9/16 and no longer 1/2. I actually prefer the design of the old clam plate due for that part that it wont have chuck slippage issues. I may have to re-purchase the 1st gen M18 fuel just for this then. I already do have the new redesigned clam plate for this year but there seem to be some wobble or play once you install the adapter shaft onto the plate. Will need to field test it for results.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.