Clam Crank bait weight good idea but overpriced

• papaperch

In case anyone else wants to try this. Started with wire and weights like clam did. Scrapped that after hooks kept fouling.
    Junked the wire idea. After another few failures came up with idea of using drop shot weights and installing screw eye in bottom of crank bait lips. Used quick clips and split rings. Both worked but favor the split rings as hook fouling was greatly reduced.

For floaters with real small lips small bell sinkers seemed better.

In case you have not heard of this. It was to enable to use floating cranks for ice fishing. From my testing in my minnow tank it looks like an awesome idea. But the fish will have to be the final judge.When sinker hits bottom it emulates a minnow feeding. When you lift on the rod it assumes a horizontal relation to the bottom. Easy to imitate a swimming minnow action.

They have a few videos out on it.

If nothing else it gave me something to do while waiting for the ice.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I forget who makes them, I have a bunch somewhere… But same concept except they hook into the front treble eyelet. Haven’t tried them but couldn’t walk past them. Got them in faribault couple years ago at bait shop

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Looks like it might be something fun to play with.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/crank-weight.html

Hold the phone. $5 for ONE?! I can see spending $5 on a crankbait, but $5 for a piece of painted lead with a wire hook?…come on…

If I recall I bought 4 packs and probably 5 per pack.

I have a wire bender, lead, can make a quick mold, have powder paint… Could probably make them for $0.03 ea.

But I ain’t gonna )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Lol. Sorry I just realized you have the title the same as the link I put in.

At least you do not need to ruin any cranks with the clam weight.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Hmmm there’s the ones I bought

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20171122201020559.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Couldn’t a guy just throw a dropshot weight on the front hook?

Appreciate the OP, the clam video did show some very interesting action of a crankbait I didn’t think was out there. Does have that feeding minnow action…..

Cheers to ingenuity toast

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/crank-weight.html

Hold the phone. $5 for ONE?! I can see spending $5 on a crankbait, but $5 for a piece of painted lead with a wire hook?…come on…

Says 3 per card in Clams description.

I could see this working in open water as well. Vertical jigging over a small rock pile or something.

Attachments:
    1. 09E9C80E-59AD-45F6-96B1-35BA63A3B148.jpeg

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I’ve wasted years weighing and playing with my summer lures on the ice already… LOL

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

The Clam Crank weights are the Today’s Tackle crank weights. Today’s Tackle and Clam teamed up to offer some of the Today’s Tackle products through Clam. also included in this deal was that Clam now sells the Ice Buster Bobbers and the Floating Livewells amd the rod rockers. Clam also did this same type of deal with Maki Plastics and Big Tooth Tackle.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Bumping this up.

Has anyone just tried a bell sinker on a small clip, attached to the split ring of the front treble?

Any DIY versions?

SW Eyes

Great idea. Could make it out of something that rattles and/or flashes easily as well.

I could see a rig like that with a big ol’ husky jerk, original rapala, etc being a good way to catch some big pike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.