Choosing the correct thrust for a trolling motor

• Duck2
    Mahtomedi, mn

Hello I am outfitting my new 16 ft modified V jon boat for use on the mississppi river. If I want to be able to use the troller for spot lock on moving water, can I get by with a 12 volt / 55lb thust motor? The boat weighs approx 600 lbs without the motor. I would like to avoid the 24 volt models if possible.
    Thanks

Brad Hak

I fish the river 5 and 5a almost every week during open water. In my opinion 55 is not enough for that boat to hold in most of the current that I fish. Anything main channel that is not seemed in slack water is going to be hard to hold in. This is just my opinion from experience. I run an 80 and in some cases still have issues when fishing smallmouth

404 ERROR
    MN

On a 600lb Jon boat, you should be just fine with a 55lb motor, even after adding the weight of gear, motor and people (to an extent). Current is always the big factor, but it shouldn’t be too big of a problem. If you’re in the main channel in really high flow, you may run into issue, however.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

On a 600lb Jon boat, you should be just fine with a 55lb motor, even after adding the weight of gear, motor and people (to an extent). Current is always the big factor, but it shouldn’t be too big of a problem. If you’re in the main channel in really high flow, you may run into issue, however.

My boat is closer to twice that weight and I run a 12v / 50lb bowmount on p2. Against most current it pulls me between 1 and 1.7mph

I agree that 55 is enough thrust BUT a I can’t speak to 12v battery life running spot lock hours on end. I would think that would be the key here?

blank

With a boat that size you’ll be perfectly fine with a 55lb trolling motor, even running spot lock. You’d have to be in some serious current for that not too be enough power, in which case I doubt fishing would be easily doable neither.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

55 will be no problem holding, but as P2 mentioned depending on current it might not last long. Springtime high water will juice it quick, but then low flow summer should get a full day for ya.

drhamm

I don’t think there any 12 volt trolling motors with spot lock.

I have a 12v MotorGuide Xi5 on my 14′.

blank

You can get 55lb thrust Terrovas and Power Drives with iPilot.

404 ERROR
    MN

Terrova 12v 55lb. Made? Yes. Popular? No.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If I want to be able to use the troller for spot lock on moving water, can I get by with a 12 volt / 55lb thust motor?

Absolutely, yes. BUT. If you are EVER thinking about adding a second battery to improve battery life in the future, you’d be making a mistake by buying the 12v.

You’ll get much better battery life AND battery longevity by going overkill. The less you discharge your deep cycle batteries between charging, the more years they will last. Plus if you ever wanted to sell it, a 24v trolling motor will be much easier to sell.

Let me end by saying you won’t be making a mistake by buying a 12v. I’d do it if 2 batteries was not an option. Just make sure you get the biggest battery you can find.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have a 12v Terrova with I-link. Buy yourself the 24v and I will swap with you and pay the difference. grin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.