Chokes– coyote loads

• Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

So I am getting ready to buy a new choke for the ole 12gauge with the purpose of coyote in mind, I am leaning towards a full or extra full to shoot BB, BBB, etc. But I’m no genius on these things. Buckshot though does not pattern as well out of these tight chokes correct? I’ve seen a few of the newer chokes coming out “for coyotes” and they are essentially modified which is what is currently in the gun. I am doing my own research as well but real world examples beat product labels.

All this would preferably not break the bank

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I don’t rep Trulock anymore, but I do think They have the best program on the market.

I patterned their Predator tube with Winchester Steel BB out of a Remington at 45 yrds. Results were amazing, though every gun is different. That Predator tube was designed for T and 00 Buskshot. The other tube you may want to look at is the Deerstoyer by Trulock. I haven’t done anything with that one, but know guys who claim 50-55yrd shots.

Here is the safety net. IF you don’t like how it patterns, you have 60 days to mail it back to George Trulock for either a different tube or your RETAIL refund.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/trulock-guarantee.php

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I was unable to find a specific predator choke on the website, unless they don’t make it for the HR Pardner, however everything I have looked up says that the HR will accept Mossberg 500 chokes, (according to Carlson’s choke guide)

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I called Scott there and found out that they are making some changes and will release a new Predator line next year.

Meanwhile….check your PM

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Have you patterned your existing full choke?

To me that would be key in determining what kind of a problem are you trying to solve, if any. Tighter is not always better at every range and with every gun.

I’m not a fan of 00 Buckshot (which is what most people refer to when they talk about buck) for coyotes. The pellet count is just too low and that lead to some unfortunate chases with coyotes who managed to find a hole in the pattern and only got hit in the foot or legs or rear.

#4 buck is very close to BB, but for me it’s more difficult to find now that manufacturers are cranking out coyote specific loads with BB. If you can find it, it’s a good option, though.

IMO it’s important to pattern test for two reasons. Obviously the pattern density is reason #1.

The not-so-obvious one is point of impact, or with a shotgun probably more accurately described as where the center of the pattern impacts relative to the point of aim. If you’re just using the bead as a sight, it can be rather surprising how far the center of your pattern is off from where you thought you were aiming.

I honestly believe that many people who believe they have a “pattern problem” actually have a point of impact problem where they are just plain missing the target with the center of the pattern. Both are equally important.

Grouse

robby
    Quad Cities

I shoot #4 buck through a Turkey extra full tube. It patterns denser than any of my other tubes.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

IMO it’s important to pattern test for two reasons. Obviously the pattern density is reason #1.

The not-so-obvious one is point of impact, or with a shotgun probably more accurately described as where the center of the pattern impacts relative to the point of aim. If you’re just using the bead as a sight, it can be rather surprising how far the center of your pattern is off from where you thought you were aiming.

I honestly believe that many people who believe they have a “pattern problem” actually have a point of impact problem where they are just plain missing the target with the center of the pattern. Both are equally important.

Grouse

Grouse, this is great info. I have shot a shotgun for 40 plus years and have patterned them since I started turkey hunting about 10 years ago. I never even thought of the point of impact part. Thanks for the enlightenment!!!

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Thanks Grouse I will definitely keep that in mind for when I start patterning. I feel comfortable that the gun shoots where I point it, as the fiance and I have used it to blow holes in many targets and clays. (So much so she wants a shotgun but it can’t be as heavy as mine is.) But only will actuall on paper results show exactly here that center of pattern is.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just a suggestion. I use 24″ or 36″ wide roll of Kraft paper. 2 pieces taped side by side making a 4′ x 4′ or larger target when I’m looking at patterns at 45 or so yards. As grouse mentioned, you’ll see your POI as well as your pattern. For coyotes, I like to draw about a 6 to 8″ triangle and look for 6 or more inside the lines.

I’ld also try the Hevi-shot coyote loads in T. Lots of guys out west swear by them

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I’ll be using some giant sketchpad sheets of paper I have laying around put together to make a 3×3 or so size target. I intended to pattern some standard college student budget 3inch BB, and then I have some 15pellet 00buck to try for the fun of it, and maybe something else will get thrown into the mix. Hevi-shot is expensive, but I have seen videos of it just hammering coyotes. Hornady’s, coyote loads are in BB I believe, I might see how those preform.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.