bluegill fish kill

• chomps
    Sioux City IA

Dad was getting the dock ready, (South Center) well the water in the bay is stil way way down. He said there were belly-up gills all over the place, they had to have been dead for a couple of days, cause the smell was getting bad. I’m not sure if this was caused by the low water levels, and fast heating of the shallow bays and sometimes the bluegills will get a bacteria growth in their gills. Any other news of area lakes seeing some problems? I know the lake could use some thinning out, just hope it wasn’t too bad.

sicheneder
    forest lake,mn

i have been on chisago a few times and have not noticed anything like that.

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Could be a fish disease called Culumnaris. Not sure on the spelling but I am close I think. Some lakes get this all the time and some get it every few years. Cant be treated. It just happens. Not saying this is what it is but I would guess it is. Usually happens in May but it is a temperature thing and due to the warm and early spring it might be happening now
    Just my two cents
    Jordan

buckmaster

I have read about Columnaris Disease, but I think Columnaris will wipe out the fish population if I remember right. Either way any fish kill is not good.

Never say never.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.