Anyone been out?

• rushcityranger
    Rush City Mn

Hey all you ice hounds!

Anyone been out lately?? The bite has been fantastic!!

I have been getting walleyes in the predictable first ice spots, and now that we have a little more ice it has been fun to get on the wheeler and do a little exploring! The majority of the walleyes I have been getting have come on a buck shot rattle spoon with a fathead head. What has been wierd, is that typically we get 25% or so of our walleyes on a dead stick with a shiner. But that has been very unproductive so far, until last night. But the key was instead of a shiner, using a lively fathead. As soon as you drop it down “bang”! It was really a good average also! No hogs, but all of the fish were between 14 and 19 Inches! Cant wait to go again today!!!!

Cory Frantzick
    http://www.AtHomeOnTheLake.com

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Are you fishing one of the Rush Lakes? I have only fished West a couple times and we did well on crappies. I have only gone straight out from the public access right by a hundred other people. I am yet to catch a walleye on Rush Lake though. I have heard it is very good. Is West or East better for walleyes? What kind of depth are they usually in? I am hoping to fish everyday for the next three weeks and Rush is only an hour from my house.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Cory,

You’ve got me drooling at work today. for me too!

rushcityranger
    Rush City Mn

Hey Big Iffie!

Both lakes can be good, The key as in any ice fishing is to get away from the crowds! It amazes me every time what a little noise does to the bite. Get your self a good lake map, and look for breaks into deeper water. Can’t give you specifics, but there is some good spots, just takes a little poking around to find them!
    Most productive depths have been in the 23-25 range, I am not sure on East, but I am going to head there this evening!!

Cory Frantzick
    http://www.AtHomeOnTheLake.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.