South Lindstrom Report

• dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Here are two reports: Sorry for the delay.

Took my brother from Atlanta out on Thursday on South Lindstrom and North, we nailed them. Sorry was not by a computer for the whole weekend but it was hopping. We nailed fish early on small crank baits (baby 1-‘s Grey with Green Back) early on in the inside edge on south lindstrom, then aroudn 8:00 starting getting larger fish on the 7-10 weedline pulling double colorado white/chart spinnerbaits. Moved into north lindtrom and got some more on small cranks, then my other brother hooked a 5+lb-er on a spinnerbait. I have seen many fivers, and this would push 6, but i won’t say it and make him feel worse. the fish got unbuttoned about 10 feet from the boat and through the blades. Ouch!

Later on we moved back into Chisago and worked into some schools of 2-3 pound bass, the success was coming on plastic worms, working over submerged fallen wood on the bottom in about 7-9 feet near weeds. we used both texas rigged and jig worms, colors that worked best were black/blue/purple.

Good Luck! the lake has been great the few times i have been out recently. Oh yeah, we have gotten some bonus big pike too along the way, 7 and 8 pounders! seemed this lake wasn’t too hot for a couple years and now its hot again.

I was out last night for a couple of hours on S. lindstrom last night and noticed that the bass are hanging on the out side portion of the weed line. from our experience we are seeing the weed line stop around 6 but with sporatic weeds going out till about 8. we ended up thowing small cranks over the 4-6 foot depths and the majority of our fish can on the pause of our retrieve. The fish are hitting the bait extremely hard and taking the bait in far. we then came back to the areas with the sporatic weeds in the 8 foots depths and work them more slowly with some plastics. I prefer a 5 inch worm but my friend had success on the normal 8 inch worm. color, Red and blue. All in all got about 8 bass (from 2-3 lbs), 1 northern, and 2 14 inch walleye, not bad for an 1 1/2 of fishing. Go figure, I guess they like the 5 in worms.

I was out last week and fish pretty much the same with better success and better sizes too.

dustytoms

Have you been out on these lake sence the report was last filed . I fish North Center on a regular bases . any new up dates write Dustytoms @earthlink.net

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I have been out there about 10 times since my last report. But, I hav enot been out in the last week!
    Just seemed as though not too many people where interested in this great area for fishing.

Well, the fishing out there has gone from good to great!!
    We are having a ball out there with the bass and northerns. On most days the bass are slamming the white spinnerbaits being slow rolled back to the boat. We are keying in on the weedlines and wood. (That should give you a good idea on where to go!) these fish are hitting the baits so hard that for a second or two we are thinking we are stuck on something. With the weather getting colder the keys are going to be finding the living weeds and staying around some wood. The weeds are going to keep the bait fish safe and the bass will follow them and the wood will keep the water a little warmer.
    Other baits that have been working are small cranks, in the Chartreuse/Black, Black/Blue, Chrome/Blue, tubes under docks, if you can find them, and jigs, black/blue. We are also getting some on jerk baits. I think that the jerk baits and spinnerbaits are going to be my mainstay this coming weekend as this cold front should have simmered them down some.
    The northern fihsing on this lake has been a great surprise out there. We have caught a dozen fish over 8 lbs!!. I never knew that the fish got so big here. We are catching these fish going for bass.
    We are seeing fish school pretty heavy now out there.

Just to give you an idea of the size of fish we are catching. One day the best 5 fish for me was 20.5 lbs, and my brother 18lbs. All the fish where between 18-20 inches and where fat. The avereage size of fish is around 16 .5 inches and seem to be weighing around 2.5-3.

Any reports on the water temps out there? What is the water situation, turn over yet?

Thanks,
    A

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Was out yesterday for a couple hours and the fishign is still hot out there.

Mainly fished in S. Lindstrom. We fished the same areas that I mentioned above but this time slowed our baits down considerable. We fished only spinnerbaits and small cranks because we wanted to cover a good amount of water. The fish are still fairly shallow, 4-8 feet of water, and willing to bite. We ended up with 18 bass, the biggest about 5 #s and the rest in the 2 .5 – 3.5 range. When you do find the fish they are more than willing to bite. I am amazed at how hard the fish are smaking the lure. I will be out there this weekend again if the weather holds.
    The water appears to be clearing up so I am expecting the fishing to improve.

Anyone else get out?

A

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Was out on Sat for a couple hours. Boy was it cold that day.
    On the way up every lake had ice on it and I was worried that we wouldn’t be able to get on. Well the access was completely clear so we headed out.
    Not much of a report but hear goes.
    Ended up only getting 3 fish, they we all relating to some type of wood. Caught them all on white spinnerbaits being slowed rolled along the bottom. not much else top report except the channel going into and out of s. Linstrom to N. Lindstrom is just loaded with Crappies and sunfish. Pretty neat to see fish in two feet of water and under the ice. There has to be a couple thousand on both sides of the bridge, simply amazing.

I am hoping to maybe get out once more but judging by the snow happening outside I am not sure.

Best of luck to anyone that gets out.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

That spot seems to hold panfish year round. I’m suprised there wasn’t more ice. Rush was froze over solid.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Are you done boat fishing for the year??

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

My boat hasn’t seen water since 10-8. It’s all been about the kill! Depending on if there’s ice or not I might hit the river. Otherwise I’m praying for ice!!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

How thick does the the ice get between North and South Lindstom? Is there much current there to keep the ice thin and not safe? Which baits do you reccomend for the panfish? Thanks, Bill

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I was out again on Sat and it was not too successful. The water has stabilized some in the 40 degree range and the fish were not the most cooperative. We end up only with a couple of fish. We ended up slowing our presentation way down and downsized our baits accordingly. The bait that produced for us is a 5 inch grub fished very sllloooowwwllyy. The fish did not smack the bait rather just grab and slowly move away with it. A couple of times we just had dead weight on and well, funny feeling number ten = set the hook. lol

The size of the fish is still a heafty 2.5 lbs and are good looking now. Very neat to see the lateral lines on the fish.

The areas between N/S lindstrom are not iced over anymore with the rising temps. We could not see any of the panish between the two lakes as I report earlier. There was man in a row boat that seemed to be getting his fair share of fish though, but he was fihsing in the 5-7 foot range. I think with tthe warmer temps set for this week fishing might pick up. I believe that if we would have seen some sun on Sat we would have had better luck.

I am hoping to get out a least a couple more times out there.

A

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.