Chisago Area Bite – Walleye and Crappie

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Not much activity on this forum but I’ll give it a try. I’ll be in the Chisago area fishing Green Lake (mainly) this weekend. I usually have the bass bite dialed in up there but I’m going to shoot for walleye. Current plan is to try and cover points with deep water next to them and the backsides of deep weed edges with live bait or dragging raps. If anyone is having any luck (or not) let me know.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I tried fishing Chisago saturday evening late afternoon. Water still greenish and 60 degrees. No walleyes, but I did loose a nice fish trolling after dark that felt like a bigger walleye. Tried bobbering in 8-10 feet before dark on gravel with no takers. The lakes are up a foot or so from last year which is nice. Not much weeds past 6 feet of water. Most bass and other fish are in shallow weeds less than 6 feet.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Only 1 rig at the Green access when I drove by at 3:30 which was suprising. Many boats on Chisago.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Hopefully the water temp is down a bit. My folks have a place on Green but I haven’t been able to fish it much this year. I rarely get on the walleyes and usually catch them by mistake but I’m going to give it a solid days try this weekend. I’ll try not to revert back to pike and bass fishing if the bite is tough. That’s usually what I do because they are always easy to find on that lake.

Kris Lindberg

It’s my first year up here in the Chisago lakes area. I’ve been hitting Chisago and South Lindstrom a lot as the water has started to cool. Walleyes have been very hard to find, in three weekends of fishing I got one fish up to the boat where it got off. I know eventually they move up into the channel, but they are currently nowhere near it yet. I’m thinking the water needs to get a little colder yet.

I’d like to know how you do. I haven’t tried Green Lake yet, even though it’s like ten minutes from my house. I’ll have to give Green a shot soon. But I might end up in a tree instead. lol…

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Keep at it Kris. My guess is they are in shallow weeds with the bass and pike.

tim hurley

Amazing pike on your avatar Matt. Numbers are not in your favor in any metro lake for Walter IMO-better to drive a little or go to the river. Maybe even fish your bass spots with a presentation that would also work for walleyes-
    Good Luck!

Jeff Fitzpatrick

I was bass fishing Green with a buddy this summer and caught a couple walleyes on a ripping rap in 12 FOW. Steep break, lots of bait, and moving quick seemed to work!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Tim, thanks for the compliment. Caught that on a fly in trip in Canada this summer. I usually fish the river but I’m determined to get on the walleyes in Green. I catch more on spinner baits fishing pike and bass but I have to believe you can find concentrations of them.

Jeff, that was going to be one of my tactics this weekend. There a couple of spots with deep breaks that I plan to try rippin raps and jigging raps on. I’m then going to try and move shallower before dark and see if I can’t find them inside the weed edges.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes….

Jeff Fitzpatrick

Awesome – good luck! Metro eyes are a bit of a mystery to me, so I’m looking forward to the report.

bobberstop4054

Hello! Just a little information to share, my son has been out a few times now after dark and find his limit of walleyes very shallow. Bellys are full of frogs and small bluegills. casting rapalas. Released a 29 inch walleye Thursday nite

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Saturday night the bite was pretty good – shallow hard bottom adjacent to weeds with either a jig and minnow or rippin raps put a handful in the boat. Had to move around to find them but once I found a pod of them I could put a few in the boat and then move on.

Sunday during the day was a whole different story…..could catch bass and pike on pretty much anything I threw in the water. I fished deep, shallow, on break points, outside of the weeds, etc. No walleyes to show for it but a few really nice pike and bass.

Water was about 55 so I think the bite might get even better. I’m going to hit a few more metro lakes and try this same pattern over the next few weeks.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Good to hear you found some walleyes Matt. Thanks for the confidence builder bobberstop4054!

bobberstop4054

tonite should be good much later when the moon shows!

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

tonite should be good much later when the moon shows!

Agreed. Sunny days tend to produce good night bites. Is the water clearing up more now? Can’t wait to get back up there and give it a try. It is tough getting up there during the week with kids activities and work.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Yeah, water is starting to clear up. I would say about 2 feet of clarity in calm water. Not quite to spring levels but getting there.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Fished friday afternoon in the area and caught a bunch of bass and pike. They were smashing lipless cranks. Few crappies were in the weeds too. Stayed till after dark, but couldn’t get any walleyes to cooperate. Found some areas with lots of shiners, but the walleyes were not to be found in those areas after dark unfortunately. Water still at 55 degrees, but is clearing a lot. I could see 4 feet down in most areas.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was out last night from about 5-8pm. Caught a mixed bag of pike, crappie and small walleyes but then the wind from the north picked up and I called it a night. About 5pm it cleared up and the wind went down and I caught fish until right at dark. Once it clouded back up and the wind started to blow they pretty much turned off.

I hope to get a couple more night bites before the weather really turns but with my work schedule it’s going to be tough.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Gave it one last try on Friday and didn’t have any luck. There were a handful of boats on Green and no one caught any fish in the couple of hours I was out there. The water temp was right at 40 degrees and it was relatively calm. Worked jigs and minnows, cranks, and plastics without a bite to show for it.

Seems like the night bite in the Chisago area was best when the water was between 50-60 degrees and the it was clear and calm. The nights I was out with cloud cover seemed to be pretty unproductive.

Ended up being a pretty good fall in the metro. I’ll still be on the river a bit but time to get ready for ice fishing.

Kris Lindberg

Well, I finally got a Walleye out of Green, but I winterized the boat now, and it’s time to focus on Ice. Think cold thoughts.

Kris Lindberg

Does anyone have any new info for the beginning of the ice season? I’m going out to hit Chisago tonight. Just wondering if anyone has been having any luck out there yet.

bobberstop4054

I know they r in big green use a small siner usally either mikes or frankies has them u cant go wrong on south center with this set up either

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.