Chippewa running it with a boat?

• fisherman79
    Hastings Minnesota

I was wondering if you can run up the chip. from the mississippi river. Is there some sort of channel up the river? Please send some info back to me. Thanks, David

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Around Eau Claire, alot of people use boats, but you need to know the channels, because there are alot of sandbars, rocks, and pilons.

fisherman79
    Hastings Minnesota

You said thier are pilons? In the water from some old railroad bridges or something like that. Never heard of something like that up the river. Could you alborate more. Thanks, David

jhalfen

These are old wooden pilings that used to anchor piers, docks, bridge decks, and the like. They’re all over the place in the stretch through Eau Claire, as much of this water is relatively shallow, and 100 yrs ago, there was a very active lumber industry in this town. In low water, you can see these things by the dozen. Some are just a few feet from the boat launch.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah they are from docks and such for steam boats and logging industries. Very hazordous to motors and props.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I would have to say if your are going to come up the Chipp from the river you better have a canoe, air boat, or a tunnel hull. It is usually extremely shallow south of Durand/Ella Area. If you go from Durand up you can usually get through ok with a flat bottom or with a smaller V bottom. Don’t think you will be able to get a larger boat up or down it…if you do you will take care of your motor in no time. If you aren’t familiar with the Chippewa go with someone who knows there way around it, especially anything south of Eau Claire. There are a ton of hazards in this river. Trust me I know from experience

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Also another hazard is all the trees in the water. These move all the time so if one was somewhere yesterday it may be somewhere else today lurking to eat your lower end or prop. I have been out when the water is high and have had a tree just come up out of nowhere next to me. Thats scary.
    Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.