Chippewa River Backwaters-Dead Lake/Silver Birch

• krisko
    Durand, WI

I went out for most of the day ice fishing some of the Chippewa backwaters. I went to Dead Lake, just south of Arkansaw, WI. I’d have to say it must be the calm before the storm. I only caught 3 small perch all day. I had Vexlar out and my new AquaVu and saw tons of fish and some dandies too. None would bite. I tried changing color, techniques and location…nothing. I thought it would be an awsome day with the storm coming. I guess I’ll have to see what it is like on Friday after the storm.

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

Now this is the type of information I like to see! Local lakes, etc.

Though as you said, I’m surprised the fish weren’t biting better with the storm moving in. Perhaps they were waiting until it got closer.

How thick was the ice?

krisko
    Durand, WI

The ice was 7-8″ thick. The river was up a little awhile ago and now has went down a little so there is a little sag in the ice. It is good enough though. I’m gonna try again on Friday maybe. I might also try up on Chain Lake, McCann and those lakes just for something new. I’ll keep you updated if you want.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Did you hit Silver Birch and are the pumps on. I would of thought you would havehit them on Dead also. I like that lake about 1/2 way to the Chippewa on the bank side. Is that anywhere near where you tried?
    Steve

krisko
    Durand, WI

I didn’t hit Silver Birch very long. There were people where I like to fish…and the pumps were on. You are also right on the location on Dead Lake. In fact you are right on the money.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.