Chippewa River Update

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Went out for a little while this afternoon to try my new St.Croix rod on some walleye. Not being used to this rod or how sensitve it was it took me a little time to catch on but I did. I didn’t bother with any live bait as I didn’t have any at home and wasn’t thinking when I was up town.so I used my favorite knuckle ball jigs tipped with a Mister Twister Exude Chartruese Flake Curly Tail Grub. Missed the first three hits then I caught a plump 14 inch fish, caught a eater about 16″ or so then they must have gotten used to that bait. Nothiing else so I switched to one of the Storms soft baits that lookes like a small perch and caught another short fish. Fished that bait for awhile and ended up switching to a chartreaus shad body and lost another keeper close to shore and lost another that hit as soon as the bait slid off the sand and hit the gravel. That felt like the best one of the day but heck it may have been a carp. I wish it would of stayed on longer because with that current it would have been fun on the new rod. Oh well the Chippewa is really flowing but is not over the bank yet, there is a ton of grass and other debris (trees and stuff) floating down stream heading for the Mississippi. I plan on giving those fish a break untill tomorrow afternoon when I will have some live bait on a dead stick and I’ll be casting some ringies,twisters and other goodies on my new St Croix. Steve

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Its fricken flooded now. DAMN!!

Don Hanson

What area or general area were you fishing?

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

How do you fish those Storm baits?

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I guess it’s the lower Chippewa Bottoms. I tried getting back to where I was fishing Saturday on
    Sunday and the road was flooded. I have crawlers now though and plan on taking
    my mountain bike back down there. I was using all different types of retrieves
    on the storm baits but it seemed like after it hit bottom I would lift the rod up making the
    bait swim and as I let it settle back down on the slack is when the fish hit. I will be
    doing some more experimenting on those baits but they really cast good and they
    are quite heavy and cut the current good. Another thing I like is that with those on I could
    really tell the difference in the bottom. I could tell if it was sand and then feel it change
    to gravel. Right now is the time to hit the backwater with a small flat bottom like
    yours Don. Just take the boat out to the end near the river and that is where
    the fish will be holding at. Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.