Chicken of the Woods

• Rick Janssen

I found these on a neighbors tree last night. I have never looked or found any Chickens before so I am not sure of what to look for, but from what I read, these are the real deal. Funny thing is, there are right in my town on a full grown tree. I spotted some 30′ up the trunk. I have never seen them on the tree before. I also found some awesome puff balls in the middle of the golf course fairway yesterday. Ate those for supper last night.

Have I found a treasure right across the street in town?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0022.jpg

B-man

That is definitely a Chicken, a nice young looking one (best to eat).

The real fall treasures will be showing up in force soon. Keep your eye open for Hen Of The Woods (Grifola Frondosa/Maitake). 90% of the time you will find them at the base of a mature oak tree, but they will also grow on oak stumps as well as mature maples.

thewalleyechaser
    Fargo

One thing about golf courses to keep in mind…they treat the fairways usually with chemicals which can be absorbed by the mushrooms. Just an FYI!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

People eat puff balls? What do they taste like?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If pick at the right stage of development puffballs are edible. They’re a little too musty tasting for me.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I found these chicken a couple weeks ago, they were really good!!

Attachments:
    1. chicken-of-the-woods-1.jpg

zooks

One thing about golf courses to keep in mind…they treat the fairways usually with chemicals which can be absorbed by the mushrooms. Just an FYI!

X2, would not eat any mushrooms that are found on or near chemically treated lawns for contamination reasons.

Sticker, good to hear you tried those chickens you found, lots of tasty stuff lives in the woods if you know where to look!

Rick Janssen

Great – thanks all – YES, I thought about the golf course and treatment. LOL – this is a VERY SMALL golf course in a VERY SMALL town in Iowa. They don’t treat anything (you should see the fairways). It is like golfing in a pasture. I only play there because on Mondays it is $5 for ALL DAY and I have a friend who lives across the street and he owns a cart. The course is worth the $5 -)

Mike M

Anyone know if these are any good?

Attachments:
    1. 42D261CC-108D-4031-9B9D-49FDC1958037.jpeg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.