Chevy 5.3

• riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Looking at a lightly used Chevy trail Boss with the 5.3 V-8. 3.42 rear end. I pull a Yarcraft 186tfx with 200SHO. Is the 5.3 a capable pulling machine or will I be disappointed? Current pulling rig is 2017 Ram with 5.7 Hemi. which I have no complaints with.

CaptainMusky

The 5.3 is a more than capable engine, but will have less torque that what your hemi does. It may not pull it quite as well as the Ram, but it certainly will be no slouch. Remember, back in the 90’s we were pulling boats like that with vehicles that barely had 200HP LOL

MX1825

I have a 2018 Silverado with the 5.3. I tow a Skeeter MX1825 with no problems.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Remember, back in the 90’s we were pulling boats like that with vehicles that barely had 200HP LOL

Yes agree. Always something to keep in mind

Ive pulled my Alumacraft 175 Sport with a 140HP and 9.9 kicker all over with both the HEMI and the 5.3. I enjoyed the HEMI motor in my Durango much more than the 5.3 in my Yukon XL BUT the 5.3 was more than capable

Adam Steffes

I would just be concerned about the recent spat of camshaft / valve train issues on 5.3’s

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Pick up a device to go in the data port that will cancel out the cylinder cancelation. They sell on amazon for about 150-200. You can thank me later.

Ongo

I tow a 620 with a 2014 GMC 1500, 5.3, and the 3.42 rear end. It does just fine and it’s a heavier boat than your YarCraft. Sure you’ll find other pickups with more HP and torque that would pull it more effortlessly but that engine is more than capable.

To echo CaptainMusky, compare the HP and torque specs on the newer 5.3L to what we had on 1/2 ton and even 3/4ton gasser pickups 20 years ago.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Pick up a device to go in the data port that will cancel out the cylinder cancelation. They sell on amazon for about 150-200. You can thank me later.

Agree with this 1000000000000% Had problems with both my HEMI and had the engine replaced on my 5.3 due to cylinder shutdown crap. One of the main reasons, if not the main reason i went with a Tundra for my new truck

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

Agree with this 1000000000000% Had problems with both my HEMI and had the engine replaced on my 5.3 due to cylinder shutdown crap. One of the main reasons, if not the main reason i went with a Tundra for my new truck

I am also looking at a tundra at the moment from my ram. But my ram I put a tuner in immediately just in order to cancle the cylinder deactivation.
    And the totaled buick might turn in to a 4runner if the one we look at tomorrow pans out.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

…had the engine replaced on my 5.3 due to cylinder shutdown crap.

I know the newer 5.3s differ from the previous generation, but I’ve also had to prematurely replace an AFM 5.3 (it was a 2012). Sold that thing 2 weeks later and won’t own another.

Plenty of people are happy with them, though, and they’re more than capable.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Wow, I’m surprised the “you need a 3500 duramax to pull anything bigger than a utility trailer” crowd hasn’t weighed in.

Things are a changing on this site. Next thing you know there will be a 3 page thread about our favorite grocery stores.

Deuces

Wow, I’m surprised the “you need a 3500 duramax to pull anything bigger than a utility trailer” crowd hasn’t weighed in.

They’re all currently too busy filling up on DEF and glow plugs, I’m sure they’ll chime in when temps get warmer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

They’re all currently too busy filling up on DEF and glow plugs, I’m sure they’ll chime in when temps get warmer.

Hey that’s un called for. I rock both sides the party and I shop at aldis every once and a great while

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

THe 5.3 is capable but you will notice significant loss in towing performance from the HEMI. I am or was a GM man for my a long time. I just sold the last GM I anticipate owning and went to a Tundra. I would have bought a Ram, if I had found the right deal on one first, but this Tundra showed up and I jumped on it. I have not towed much with it, but I do know that I can feel a major difference in the torque and and power over my GM unloaded. I can tell you if you tow alot, and you buy the GM, you will feel like it is under powered. The truck is very capable, but you will be disappointed. Its kind of like other luxuries in life, the old Jiffy will poke a hole in the ice, But the SM 40v will do a better job. Both are very capable, one is just better.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Recently went from a 2020 Trailboss to 2021 Ram Hemi. I’m a life long GM owner and this is my first Ram. I won’t be going back to GM if that says anything. Not a super heavy boat, 1875 Lund Impact 150 and kicker. I did like the 10 speed in the GM, but the 8 speed in my Ram is more than adequate.

Adam Steffes

Just had a buddy lose a ‘19 5.3 cam and a few valves / rockers / lifters at 75k in a tahoe. His previous tahoe was a 2009 that went 325k in the same duty cycle but that had a 6.2 in it. Sold because the transmission went out and he was deploying so he didn’t want his wife to have to deal with it. I have heard of others having similar problems with the valve train on the 5.3. I saw a good video on youtube of a brand new silverado that went to ticking loudly very early and let go in warranty.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

I have a 14 Silverado 1500 last month started running rough like it was cutting out and going hard in between V8 n v4 brought to my mechanic deleted the cylinder deactivation. Truck has 153,000 miles runs the best it ever has now and haven’t noticed hardly any drop in mpg I highly recommend going this route , the Chevy dealership estimate was 3900$ for fixing every code that came up.instead I got it fixed by my trusted mechanic for 200$ No service lights on nothing just a straight v8 now and I could not be happier

MnPat1

The 5.3 will tow that boat without issue. I have found the 5.3 to get better mileage empty or towing than any other brand. 20 plus mpg during the summer is normal. Towing a ranger 1880 at 75 mph I get between 14-15.

404 ERROR
    MN

Be careful disabling AFM without replacing the high volume oil pump. The trail bosses use DFM with oil control valves. You can disable with no issue of excessive oil pressure. But the real question is why disable DFM engines?…most peoples foil hat concerns for DFM’s are confused with an AFM engine. Totally different design.

You should be more worried about your back window leaking.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Be careful disabling AFM without replacing the high volume oil pump. The trail bosses use DFM with oil control valves. You can disable with no issue of excessive oil pressure. But the real question is why disable DFM engines?…most peoples foil hat concerns for DFM’s are confused with an AFM engine. Totally different design.

You should be more worried about your back window leaking.

“Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM), otherwise known as Dynamic Skip Fire, is a General Motors engine technology that shuts down the engine’s cylinders to optimize power delivery and efficiency. DFM is an improvement to Active Fuel Management, which it succeeds

As such, Dynamic Fuel Management saves fuel by only using the cylinders of an engine that are required during the specific driving situation – such as highway cruising. It then seamlessly reactivates the other cylinders when a driver demands more power for acceleration, climbing a grade or hauling.”

What is the difference? AFM & DFM sound like they are performing the same operation

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Thanks for all the information guys. 5.7 Hemi it is.

stevenoak

My first thought is always. How much do you tow? Is your hitch empty 90% of the time? I would buy for that. 10% towing 5.3 will handle it. Although my 3.5 in my F150 will pull my old 5.3 in my GMC inside out. And the mileage was terrible towing. But I was working and not towing as much as I do now. With traveling. More like 50/50 now.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Thanks for all the information guys. 5.7 Hemi it is.

Absolutely the right decision.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.