Chequamegon Bay Ice Fishing

• John Zuleger

We’re heading up tomorrow and Friday. I have only gone a couple of times over the last few years. Neve5 feel like I really have it dialed in. Looking for some basic techniques, suggestions on depths to fish, where to fish in the water column and go to setups.

finman

Me too, me too!!!!! I went as a kid with my dad, but never as an adult. Always wanted to go again!!

Dan Buchmann

I’ll be heading up Saturday. We usually go as a group and spread out until someone gets them dialed in and then we move.

Jensen

Mr. Benson if he’s been out is a fantastic guy to get good info from.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’ll be heading up Saturday. We usually go as a group and spread out until someone gets them dialed in and then we move.

What is the “them”? What are you catching? I have always wanted to try fishing up there, just no idea where to start.

CC

Depends on what your after, shallow for trout and deep for the others. Tip ups are a must. Fishing been awesome past few times!!!

Dan Buchmann

Any type of fish, we aren’t picky. Normally this time of year we are chasing browns, splake and whitefish. Once we can move out to deeper water we are chasing lakers and coho. Most of the time we end up with mixed bags. We use jaw jackers instead of tip ups due to the instant hook sets. My buddy was up there last week and just put out a video on youtube. hookedupwi is his instagram, facebook and youtube page. Might give you more insight than me typing a short novel.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Any type of fish, we aren’t picky. Normally this time of year we are chasing browns, splake and whitefish. Once we can move out to deeper water we are chasing lakers and coho. Most of the time we end up with mixed bags. We use jaw jackers instead of tip ups due to the instant hook sets. My buddy was up there last week and just put out a video on youtube. hookedupwi is his instagram, facebook and youtube page. Might give you more insight than me typing a short novel.

I’ll take a look. Not looking good for this year but something I want to start doing. Thanks

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Being 1.5 hour from my cabin this is something I could try but would need more info to get started.
    For example what kind of hooks, lures or baits can you use? Jig with minnow, jig with minnow head, something completely different, etc? I just need a rough idea what would go on the end of my line whether it be a tipup or rod. Thanks!

Dan Buchmann

I use 1/4- 3/8oz spoons tipped with a lake shiner head while jigging. For our set lines most of use a #6 circle hook with a split shot about 6-8″ above with a live lake shiner on it. We fish anywhere from 10-130′ out there. Mostly we are in that 20-30′ range for most species besides lakers.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Perfect. Thanks! Does River Rock or Anglers All carry lake shiners?

Dan Buchmann

River Rock is where we always go. Hopefully we get some colder temps so we can get out further soon

John Zuleger

31″ brown
    26.5″ brown

Attachments:
    1. 20210107_104343.jpg

2. Screenshot_20210107-181325_Message.jpg

John Zuleger

We saved what they spewed on the ice. All hatchery fish. Built homemade jaw Jackers last week. They worked flawlessly!

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Out today off of the Washburn Coal dock. There were fishermen all the way to Houghton point. A few people on snowmobiles but I had 3 inches in one hole and maybe 4 in another. We were in 37 ft of water and caught 9 Lake trout. Mainly # 5 or 6 Swedish pimples in white and chartreuse and also a silver pearl. I break a lake shiner in half and put the head on one hook and the tail on another. This has been discussed for many years and usually the “heads” win…But 90% of the time if I get a hit and miss…and check my bait…the tail is what is gone. Had on fish on an Automatic fisherman and couple swing and misses. Fish came in groups. Be very careful….Ice thickness is not consistent. I like to fish a # 4 hook under a slip bobber about 3 ft off of the bottom inside my tent in one hole and jig in the other. Today I had a laker eat the minnow…take the bobber down and suddenly I had a hit on my Pimple. Yup…same fish…caught him on both lines…What a mess…

Bluegill89

What’s the best way to Access the bay? Do marinas let you walk out for a fee? Are there public accesses?

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Free public access all over the bay. PM me if you like

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.