Cheap Rod Shipping

• brycenannenga1
    Dubuque Ia

Can anyone tell me if Fed Ex is cheaper than UPS with Rod shipmant?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

It wasn’t an option BUT….I can ship most rods through USPS for $15-$22.

All shipped in old St Croix rod tubes.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

St.Croix said to call speedee and see pricing, otherwise they have a shipping method as well.

That reminds me I’ve got to send in a couple for repair/replacement.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve used about every service available in WI. Ultimately, I still use the online calculators and compare. They all seem to have their where each one could be cheaper

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Randy hit the nail on the head by using the calculators on each companies website. Go under shipping and select “get rates and times”. Just fill in the info and it will show you all the services available to your area and the pricing.

One thing to check out is if any of your friends or neighbors can ship through their work on a UPS or Fed Ex number, that would definitely save you some cash. The rates for a one and done customer and through the roof. Most businesses get around a 50% discount. That’s a lot of cash if shipping any other method besides ground. If you are using ground service the difference between the two companies is pennies.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Randy hit the nail on the head by using the calculators on each companies website. Go under shipping and select “get rates and times”. Just fill in the info and it will show you all the services available to your area and the pricing.

One thing to check out is if any of your friends or neighbors can ship through their work on a UPS or Fed Ex number, that would definitely save you some cash. The rates for a one and done customer and through the roof. Most businesses get around a 50% discount. That’s a lot of cash if shipping any other method besides ground. If you are using ground service the difference between the two companies is pennies.

so what you are saying is, if a company charges me $15 to ship an item, it really only cost them $7.50. My next question is, is this profit added into the markup and taxed, or is it just frosting???

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

so what you are saying is, if a company charges me $15 to ship an item, it really only cost them $7.50. My next question is, is this profit added into the markup and taxed, or is it just frosting???

LOL…. it simply cost less to deliver to a business location… someone is always there, usually access is easier, common sense.

What it “cost” the company isn’t just about the carrier’s pricing. Packaging, time, a dedicated shipping area and keeping the process in place and such cost money.

When was the last time you seen a tax on shipping cost?

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I guess I wasn’t clear about that part. Most companies will sign a contract with one of the two big guns (UPS/Fed Ex). By signing this contract and using said freight company you will see a significant savings. So basically it’s buying power, like any other business purchase. If you promise to use them solely and commit to a total sales volume you can expect savings.
    Why would a guy that uses their service once a year get the same pricing as a company spending thousands of dollars each month? It’s really no different than Home Depot offering better prices than your local hardware store. The little hardware store simply doesn’t have the buying power that HD has.

Edit: Also what Cycle said. It’s always cheaper to deliver to a business rather than a residence.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Edit: Also what Cycle said. It’s always cheaper to deliver to a business rather than a residence.

Well “almost” always.

I buy parts online frequently. I check between sending them to my home or Everts were my camper is. Frequently it’s the same price.

I’ll add it does pay to check if that option is available to you.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Suppose I should have put when the business address falls in a typical business or commercial zone. Guessing that east side of the river isn’t a typical business/ commercial address.

My home is my business address, and I do not get a business rate either. It is a residential delivery.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.