Central 6048 Wood boiler

• Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

Just curious what a fair price for a Central Boiler 6048 manufactured in 1/07 is worth with 125′ of thermopex 2 air exchangers an exchanger for hot water heater and a ton of wood (roughly 50’x20’x4’high). Everything is in place and on my property now. It looks in really good shape (see pics) I’m new to wood boilers so just was wondering how much I should pay for this

Attachments:
    1. 52436489558__C5853411-94F6-4D41-BE19-B7E90F60E1C4.jpg

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

Boiler

Attachments:
    1. 52436488880__1665758E-DC70-416F-8CD4-CB26A1CA10C0.jpg

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

Boiler2

Attachments:
    1. 52436487280__61BF29C3-57E2-484B-AE68-1A242B508CA4.jpg

2. 52436488197__5C4714FB-948D-49F8-A1A0-F613D1BD94CF.jpg

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

Wood pile

Attachments:
    1. 52436479299__51B3010F-08DC-4F0B-88A5-C0004E014AB7.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you aren’t going to use it, nothing. Otherwise ask what the guy wants for it and negotiate from there. My guess is he is trying to tap you for some more in addition to what you bought the house for? I’d just tell him it’s only worth X to you as you didn’t plan on burning wood. Now, if when you first looked at it you went all ga ga and jumped up and down over the wood boiler…………………………. doah

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

I will use it a lot, just considering it’s 10 years old and I don’t know how long they last. He is asking 7000 but I was thinking more like 6000. That thermopex is expensive as heck. Do you think it’s worth 7000 with everything?

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

No I didn’t jump up and down he was planning on taking it but he said his new acreage had one already so he’s gonna sell this one. It’s also oversized for the house so when I build the garage it will work for that too

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Offer 5 and let him come and get it. Let him know that you prefer he pulled it out that you did’nt want a bunch of strangers tramping around and tearing stuff up. My guess is he takes your 5 or counters with 6 at which point you go 5.5 and call it a day.

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

Dutchboy you done this before -) thanks for the input i will do exactly that. I was just checking to see if anyone thought it was worth that.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Unless you really, really want it I would low-ball him even harder than that. If he won’t budge then you can either pay him his asking price or you can give him a firm timetable in writing for collecting his belongings from your property. What’s he going to do, come in dig up all that thermopex tomorrow morning and haul it away on a flatbed with the boiler and the wood? My guess is he’d much rather leave it where it is and take a lot less $ for it.

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

the guy i bought it from is a really nice guy and his wife and my wife have a bunch of mutural friends so i dont wanna insult him or urine him off but also dont want to over pay for it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Dan just remember, friends are friends, business is business. When you mix the two you often end up with ex-friends.

Do alot of looking at your shoes and shuffling your feet. He will sell it and you will maintain your relationship.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Do alot of looking at your shoes and shuffling your feet. He will sell it and you will maintain your relationship.

Dan, like you said — I think Dutch has done this before. ) Good luck sir — and congrats on the new property!

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Not sure why it wasn’t included with the property? If it wasn’t it should of been gone before you took possession. Just curious how it worked out this way.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I have the exact same boiler purchased in ’07.
    If I recall, it was about $7500.
    The thermopex was $3.50/foot so say $450.
    I’m sure I spent another $1000 on concrete pad/Misc.
    So around $9k in ’07 and did the work myself.
    It is weird it wasn’t included in the sale of the house.
    Be sure to check the firebox for water leaks! At 10 years old, it could be soon depending the care it has been given.
    To move that thing would suck!
    IMO…I would say $5k is about right. At least that’s what I would offer. Then negotiate. Really boils(no pun intended) down to how bad you want it.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

All good advice, especially friends and business. I think 5k is a little on the high side, everyone thinks their stuff is worth more until they try selling it on the open market. Let him put it on craigslist and offer him 3k…..from an anonymous account. Lol. Good luck

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

A 10 year old boiler with a history of them cracking. Removal effort. I would offer 3k too. And give a time table to insure removal prior to selling.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I went through a very similar situation when I bought my house. Guy wanted a crazy dollar amount, similar to what he is asking you, for the wood stove which I thought should be part of the property/sale. The hoses run through the wall, the exchangers are attached to the furnace etc. It came down to me saying he could remove it and all of the elements (hoses, concrete slab, plenum, hot water hoses) and the house, furnace and yard would have to look/function like it was never there. It ended up as part of the sale, like it should be. I would offer him some cash for the wood.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Good point. He would have to bring in HVAC profecionals to rework the furnace plenum. Repair the wall. Undergroung utilities identified. All this would require building permits. Everything would need to be done to code. I would insist on it for your protection. He is praying you will take it off his hands. The ball is in your court.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

3k is generous and fair.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I would have him haul that beast out of the yard. I have had an outdoor wood burner for 15 years that has less than half the water capacity of that beast and it will smoke like someone is burning tires in it on milder days due to the time between burning cycles. My uncle replaced a smaller unit with one with similar water capacity and it smokes bad even with seasoned wood and creosote builds up on him pretty bad..enough to pull the door gasket out and partially block off the chimney.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I would have him haul that beast out of the yard. I have had an outdoor wood burner for 15 years that has less than half the water capacity of that beast and it will smoke like someone is burning tires in it on milder days due to the time between burning cycles. My uncle replaced a smaller unit with one with similar water capacity and it smokes bad even with seasoned wood and creosote builds up on him pretty bad..enough to pull the door gasket out and partially block off the chimney.

I disagree with everything you said.
    Like I said, I have the same size boiler. In the dead of winter, I fill it 1 time per day. Takes about 6-8 pieces 24″ split oak. Mine smokes for about 10-15 minutes and then the damper shuts down and it’ll smolder for a long time.
    If you’re doing it right, the fire will burn all the creosote out and you maintain a good bed of hot coals that keeps it hot for long periods.
    And, if the wood is good it won’t smoke much with minimal amount clearly the stack.
    I certainly wouldn’t have him get rid of it. As others said, offer 2-3K and he’ll probably take it rather than have to remove it and all it’s components.
    There are a couple drawbacks to a boiler. You have like cutting/splitting wood and have access to it. You are also tied to it in winter or have someone reliable to fill it once a day for you if you’re gone. I heat both the house and my domestic hot water so don’t a nickel for LP except for about $100 a year to fill the LP tank for the off months when I shut the boiler down.

With all that said, it should have been part of the house price. So it depends on how nice you want to be to the guy. Do you want to slip him a couple grand and call it even or tell him to remove it which will cost “him” money.

Good luck with your decision!

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Look up central boiler problems. They don’t advertise what steel they use to make them. I would prefer titanium enhanced stainless like the central boiler classic edge series has available. I don’t care for electronic controls when they are outside. How easy is it to get parts?

Open the drain on the furnace, see what comes out, if it is rusty red water…run

Too many complaints about leaks and warranty

haleysgold
    SE MN

I’ve owned it for 10 years now and not 1 issue.
    I keep the water treated and test it regularly.
    You can see the water in the sight glass…not clear but it’s not supposed to perfectly clear. Very little rust.
    Parts guy is 10 miles away and aside from replacing a section of the chimney, I haven’t needed any parts.

It’s 10 years old, that’s why the best option would have been to sell it with the house. He could have bumped his asking price $4k and took $3k and I wouldn’t be answering your questions.

Do you even own an outdoor boiler?

Whatever dude. I’m outta here.

Good luck Dan!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Was this specifically excluded in the purchase agreement? If not, I’d say it’s yours without paying him anything; it’s part of the house (except for the wood).

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I have a Heatmor 200SS bought in 2002. It has a lifetime warranty, over temp protection, solid state controls made by honeywell. I even found the receipts, it was $4600 for the boiler, $1000 worth of parts including the pex tubing, pump and heat exchanger and when I added the domestic hot water 6 months later it was $300 for those parts

I was actually asking Dan about parts availability and the color of the water.
    I would be worried about a few parts, the circulating pump- usually can buy at some hardware stores and Menards, if it is a Taco 007 they should be around $100. The air damper solenoid may be harder to find.

I have a spare circulation pump and an induction fan on hand in case I have issues on a cold night. The fan actually lasted longer than I thought as I only needed to replace it a few years ago

Attachments:
    1. DSCN0272.jpg

2. DSCN0270.jpg

Sam
    St.Francis

I wouldn’t pay a dime for it it should have been included in the house if its hooked up to it

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

It was in the agreement that he got it because he was going to hook it up at his new house that is 2 miles away. His wife put a ton of stuff on his plate at the new house so he decided he was just going to sell it outright. i bought it for 5000, it comes with a spare pump and 2 heat exchanges. i had a friend come over who knows a lot about them and he said it looked solid so i took a chance. thanks eveybody for your inputs.

MNdrifter

So you have a winter under your belt, what do you think of it? The property I’m looking at has what looks like the same unit or similar except mine has LP backup. Had the regional sales rep look it over recently, said it’s solid even though it was a 2005 model. My system is full of antifreeze instead of water. Just wondering how you like burning wood, etc? Where do you get your wood, how much wood did you use in a year, how much do you pay. Any help from you Dan or others is appreciated.

Thanks, Drifter.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.