A Little Taste

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s a little taste of what’s to come for the Excursion. I just returned from the RR fishing thurs-sat. Boated about 20 or so sturgeon and a few rough fish (walleye).

The largest two were 60″ and 66″ (mine ), came as a double. They actually bit simultaineously and had to fight and land them while the other was occupied. Mine managed to make 6 wraps around the anchor rope and then got the trolling motor, which should never have been in the water anyway, and then tangled around each other. What a battle! Two PB’s in the boat at the same time. Our goal for the weekend was to get at 30″ walleye and a 60″+ sturgeon. We gave up on the wallies and focused on sturgies. We couldn’t be happier!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You should be using gloves in those last two pics!

I can not imagine two 60’s on at the same time. No..way!

And a tagged fish to boot!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

And a tagged fish to boot!

Where did you see the tag? I can’t see it in any of the photos. Did you recognize one of the fish?

The last sturgeon was the tagged one. We didn’t notice any others but may have been so excited that we didn’t notice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sure looks like a tag in the first picture.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I took a close look at the original and it looks like glare and not a tag. Just some beautiful sturgeon slime! The last one was tagged and was about 53″.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Did you send in the info.

Looks like you guys had a trip you won’t forget for a little while!

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Nice job on the sturgeon.

My nephew was up the last 3 days and had the time of his life.

They did get one that was 62 and also tagged.

Now my blood is boiling to go.

11 more days to launch.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not yet. I’ll make sure he does. We caught it right next to Clementson.

Wasn’t planning on attending the Excursion but I’m considering it now. The traffic on the river this weekend was insane. Thursday we had the best numbers and it only got worse from there. I really think that the traffic on the river really hurt the fishing. I’d like to fish the river when all the amatures are gone.

With my goal previously at 60″, it’s now at 70″ . That’s the great thing about sturgeon, once you hit a landmark, you can raise the bar by 10″ and still have the possibility of reaching it!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Does anyone have any estimates on a girth for the first fish based on the photo??? I’d like to get a weight estimate. I completely forgot to check in the heat of the moment.

If it helps, I am 5’9″ with a 32″ waist.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

That fish doesn’t have the sagging belly or ready to pop look of some fish I’ve seen. Compared to others, I’d put that at 27-28″

Who knows…pictures are deceiving.

Very good chance it’s somewhere between 25 and 30

on a side note, I wanted you to know that this report has given me the shakes and I hereby boycott any future sturgeon reports until I leave next week.

Nice fish!!!

mudcatkid
    On water

Dang, nice photos! Those are some tanks!

Quote:

I hereby boycott any future sturgeon reports until I leave next week.

Same here! Wednesday evening cant come soon enough! I just wish my motor would actually get repaired…

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

when I say plump, sagging, and ready to pop, I always think of one fish. In comparison, Joe’s fish was 67×30″

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So you guys heading up next Wednesday night? We are heading up that night for the weekend.

Got the boat out of the snow tonight. Half way threw the 1st hub. trying to figure out if my starting battery is toast or not. Plenty ot do to keep me busy until next Wednesday. May even have to go do a test run on the river. for some walleyes.

ChrisHaider

Quote:

when I say plump, sagging, and ready to pop, I always think of one fish. In comparison, Joe’s fish was 67×30″

That pic reminded me of one thing besides the fishing…bring sunscreen!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thats the kind of info I was looking for. I’m going to estimate 26-27″. That puts it at about 70-75 lbs.

Thanks

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

That 67×30 was 94 pounds. Bring sunscreen we were fried at the end of the day as you can see the redness on my face.

Some of that is just me trying to hold her still for the picture. I was exhausted and she was thrashing around.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

We got the info back from the DNR on the tagged fish.

It was tagged in Oct. 2008 only 2 miles from where we caught it. It was 51.4″ when it was tagged and 53″ when we caught it. No other information has been recorded on this fish.

I am beginning to wonder if the skinnier darker fish are river fish and the lighter thicker fish are the lake fish. My 66″ was fairly skinny for a fish of that size and was fairly dark compared to others that were caught.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I was exhausted…

It didn’t seem to slow you down once the next fish hit

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.