Home Made “No Roll” Style Sinker Molds

• Bassn Dan

Below is a photo of a couple of “no-roll” style sinker molds that I made with some scrap wood and galvanized sheet metal. A conventional mold would be better for making a lot of sinkers, but these work fine for making a few. I used an old spinnerbait as the core pin.

Dan

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Cool! Fine job! I’ve been pondering this for quite some time, seems like every time I run out so do the stores. Where’d you get the lead?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I used an old spinnerbait as the core pin.

14 ga copper wire works well too.

That’s thinking outside of the box!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I took a drill bit and drilled/squared out the corners of a Do-It Egg sinker mold when I fished Lake MI a lot. Worked great for the changing currents off the piers.

sootie
    arcadia wi,

good idea!will defenitly be trying that out this winter thanks for sharing.

Bassn Dan

Here are three different sized sample pours I did and a closer view of one of the inserts that shows how I overlap the ends on the insert to avoid leakage and have smooth sides on the sinker.

Dan

sootie
    arcadia wi,

why not cut a 1/2 in piece of thin wall tubing and form it in a vise, no seam.just my 2cents.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

why not cut a 1/2 in piece of thin wall tubing and form it in a vise, no seam.just my 2cents.

I use the split design so that the sinker can pop out of the mold. I think the lead would “solder” itself to a solid ring, but I could be wrong so let us know how it works if you try a seamless version. Something else I forgot to mention is that I make the molds to the thickness of the sinker. That way you can see if you’re getting an even fill and you get centered line holes and consistent weights.

The largest of the three sinkers pictured is from a mold that’s 1/4″ tall by 1-3/4″ long, and the sinker weighs 2.75 oz. (I also mark the weights on the rings.)

Dan

sootie
    arcadia wi,

proto type made,will test and see if it works

sootie
    arcadia wi,

it worked fine!i used some 1 1/2in. stainless tube for the lighter ones,and 2 in. tube for the heavy they wieghed from 3oz to 9oz depending on the amount of lead i put in.i used 3/32 stainless filler rod for the hole,just sprayed rem oil in the mold and they fell out,i cranked out 24 in about 45 min.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.