Life Jackets

• tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

I’m sure this has been discussed several times over on here, but I’m gonna bring it up one more time. Please point me to past threads if you recall one that is relevant.

Like many of us, I do a lot of night fishing. I find myself going wide open quite often in the pitch dark. Most of the time I got a spot in front, but sometimes use the moonlight and such. Once in a while I bump off something, but nothing major yet. I figure it would probably be awefully wise of me (to follow my wifes orders) to wear a life preserver *at minimum* during travel.

Whatcha Got? Something thin, lightweight, reflective, etc. Easy storage, easy on/off with other bulkly clothes.

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

I just picked up an auto/manual inflating unit from Cabelas in the bargain cave for $62. I tested it and it works fine. My muskie fishing buddy uses his because it fits under his rain jacket without getting in the way.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dare I mention Float-Tech

The bladder can be bought separately if you like.

I’m going into my 4ht year with them and they are thee most comfortable PFD’s on the market. Most flexible too.

I change the bobbin each year and manually blow them up to ensure my customers and I come back.

If it’s not comfortable, you won’t wear it.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

What he said

Quote:

I’m going into my 4ht year with them and they are thee most comfortable PFD’s on the market. Most flexible too.

I change the bobbin each year and manually blow them up to ensure my customers and I come back.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Float Tech for me. My wife appreciates it.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Float Tech too. And slow down in the dark!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have the Cabelas brand. It seems to work but wonder if another brand may be a better fit. As far as cost most guys I know have no problem dropping $150 or more on a rod combo but then will think the same is to much for a life jacket.

Dont think you want wear one under to many layers of clothing. They need to be either manual or water activated and trying to find the pull rope or getting water to it may not work well under your clothes. At most I will wear mine under a rain coat or light jacket.

Also dont forget to wear the kill switch cord while running around. Only thing worse than falling over board is falling over board and watching your boat drive away.

I also let someone know when Im planning to be off the water and check in with them when the boat is loaded up or if Im staying later. This could save hours if something did happen to you out there.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

I bought an inflatable at Gander a few weeks ago with duck hunting and ice fishing in mind. I don’t know about FloatTech, but this thing was terrible.

It sucks for duck hunting because the CO2 cartridge runs right up the right shoulder, so I can forget about wearing it for shooting. Most of the water I hunt ducks in is chest deep or less, so it’s pretty worthless if I’m trying to walk around and set/pick up decoys in my waders.

It sucks for ice fishing because it takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to auto-inflate according to the manual. If I go through the ice, I want to float NOW so I don’t go under the ice, not 10 seconds from now when I’m under water and lose my sense of direction.

I can handle going through in cold water. I do the frozen dip every year to prepare myself in the event of accidentally falling through. It’s getting stuck under the ice and not being able to find the hole to get back out that worries me.

I returned it and got a light weight Type III with mesh shoulders and sides and I like it a lot better. I’ve been wearing it around the garage a bit to get used to it and you almost forget it’s there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

lhprop1,

If you ever get a chance to stop in at Everts when I’m there, you can try a Float Tech.

I have called clients on their way home to get my PFD’s back.

They are that comfortable…and the CO2 rests in the breast area.

I would be careful about wearing anything over an inflatable as they are made to be worn over clothing unless like Float Tech they have an rain proof, breathable outer shell. Twenty plus pounds of pressure could hamper a persons breathing.

Mike, I just replace the kill switch tether in my boat. I actually wore it out!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Brian. If you would quit playing with it it wouldn’t ware out.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Brian. If you would quit playing with it it wouldn’t ware out.

Are we still talking about life jackets?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Mike! I’m not the guy that fixes other peoples pipes all day!

We might be off track here a bit.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Quote:

I just picked up an auto/manual inflating unit from Cabelas in the bargain cave for $62. I tested it and it works fine. My muskie fishing buddy uses his because it fits under his rain jacket without getting in the way.

I’m pretty sure the product manual says never to wear it under clothing.

I still haven’t coughed up for an inflatable. In the hot the old style are uncomfortable but not so bad in these cooler temps. I have no illusions about swimming in 64 degree water with pants and a sweatshirt on. Anyway, when it gets cold enough, CO2 doesn’t expand. I would then need a $urvival $uit.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Stearns makes a pretty good one too, and they’re made in Minnesota (At least they used to be).

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

(At least they used to be)

I was just talking with someone that worked for them. “Used to be” is correct.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the Float Tech site:

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you DO NOT WEAR UNAPPROVED APPAREL OVER THE TOP OF ANY TYPE INFLATABLE as the PFD can cause SEVERE INJURY if inflated while being restricted by tight clothing or equipment.

Good point Josh! I have mine out in the truck and I’ll check the manual for operating temp range as I don’t recall it’s exact range.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.