08/14/2010 Trying out a new pool

• shawnil

Hit the Fox last night for a few hours, to check out a new pool I’ve never fished.

Only saw a few other people out, which was a nice change. I started cranking the motor (I had it humming great just earlier in the tank at home), and i don’t know if it was the damp cooler air or what, but I couldn’t keep it running. It would start and die after a few seconds or maybe longer, and just about everytime I put it in gear I killed it. I tried this about an hour (never say die) while tweaking the idle mix, and finally decided to get lean and went out under oar power. With a smaller more condensed area I figured I could at least check things our a little bit that way.

I fished one interesting spot with a ledge dropping from 5′ into 8′ of water. There was some wood cover on the shallower side and I had baits spread above, on, and below the drop. Missed a few good hits, and hooked-up on one smash and grab. After boating a 22″ channel cat, I stuck around as I had a classic flathead pick-up right after but only felt the fish a second after a little too early hookset. Stuck around as I had a few more hits, although most of the activity was within a single hour. At one point, baits were getting popped on a few rods simultaneously, guess I was hoping for a double. Should have moved around more, but guess I got lazy after all the cranking and rowing.

Scouted around a bit more finding a nice spot for next time then headed back to the launch, having avoided the skunk and gotten a peek at some new water.

Shawn

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Nice report, and hopefully you get that motor issue figured out!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s fun to try out new waters…and have success!

Thanks for sharing Shawn.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.