Jealousy rears it’s ugly head.. and it’s mine!!!

• shawnil

After not getting out the entire month of June due to family stuff (wedding, graduation), work, and vacation (Washington DC/Virginia), finally got out there for a night of fishing last night..

Ended up taking one of the guys in our fishing group out, who’s only ventured after flatheads a couple of times to see if we could get on some fish.

I managed a big fat skunk, a fact which I was reminded of by the scent of actual skunk on the way back to the launch. Did have one good hit that didn’t commit.

Kevin, hooked up with a very nice fish for our Fox river in Illinois.

I measured this fish as 37 in. w 24 inch girth. Biggest fish that I’ve handled or landed in my boat. Don’t know what that flat was thinking, though. It hit the wrong bait (not mine )

As we were wrapping up, my recoil spring breaks. I took out some old rope, wrapped it in the teeth on top of the rotor and started yanking; after 25 minutes of this later of CONTINUOUS cranking, I finally got it humming. And to think I was just about to place a 1:00 am call to one of our nearby catfishing brethren for a rescue.

Exciting night overall…at one point I tripped and nearly fell out of the boat too! Too bad there’s no video of that… classic!

Shawn

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Just remember, Kevin would have been skunked also if you didn’t get him out Nice fish guys, greats on the Personal Best for your rig

Oh the stories of almost falling out of the boat Sure kicks the heart into a high rev hey

shawnil

Smile on his face says it all…

And of course, the fish was released to fish another day…

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Oh the stories of almost falling out of the boat Sure kicks the heart into a high rev hey

Ahh that’s just to funny

It seems that I have one of those almost every time I get in the boat

I must not have my sealegs developed yet

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Nice fish, and since it was your boat, you can claim it via the “we got a…” line. These days, when I’m out on the water anyway (shore fishing is a bit different), I’m usually prone to judging success for the whole boat rather than one individual. It’s nice to fight in a fish, but for me it’s more important to know I put the boat on fish and we didn’t go home without some sort of action.

It gives me a way to judge my habitat and fish behavior knowledge.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

For too many years I fell out of the boat at least once a year. Haven’t done it for a couple of years, now I have jinxed myself.

Glad you were able to get back out there.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

Shawn
    Congratulations on the PB for your boat. I have as much fun when others in my boat catch a good one, as when I catch it myself.
    June has been slow for me also. Mainly we have been gone someplace every weekend and you can’t catch them with the boat tied up to the dock. The river here is 5ft over normal stage and very muddy. I hope to get out more in July and Aug.

Dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Shawn
    Congratulations on the PB for your boat. I have as much fun when others in my boat catch a good one, as when I catch it myself.

X 2!

That is certainly a trophy for the old Fox.

And I’m glad to see you out fishing again Shawn…I was starting to think you took up walleye fishing or something.

shawnil

Thou speakest blasphemy… on a Sunday!

Walleye just don’t have the same place in my hear that cats do…on my dinner plate – now that’s another story!

Shawn

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

Walleye just don’t have the same place in my hear that cats do…on my dinner plate – now that’s another story!

I’m gonna have to start teaching classes on how to cook catfish so people stop thinking that walleye is a superior eating fish, cuz it just ain’t true! I mean, walleye’s good and all, but catfish, done right, is just as good or better than walleye any day of the week, and ESPECIALLY on Sundays.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Quote:

I’m gonna have to start teaching classes on how to cook catfish so people stop thinking that walleye is a superior eating fish, cuz it just ain’t true! I mean, walleye’s good and all, but catfish, done right, is just as good or better than walleye any day of the week, and ESPECIALLY on Sundays.

Thats a hard one to get past this palate.
    You have to do too much spicing up the taste, for cats
    Now a walleye fillet can be simple but good.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

DTWH,

Many folks feel the same way you do. But there’s a few tricks in cleaning that will make you swear you’re eating walleye.

I’m going to guess you’ve had a bad experience?

Certainly do not have to spice them up..not that I’m an expert on cleaning or cooking cats.

Looks like it’s time for a new thread!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

80% of the fish I eat in the summer are cats….
    Smaller fiddlers(2 1/2 3 lbs),I make sure to bleed them first,don’t skin’em down to the meat,and soak a few hrs in salt water before freezing(some swear by a milk soak)the meat is just as firm and white as any other fish….
    A light breading and a couple of hushpuppies = happiness

redneck
    Rosemount

I am a walleye guy anymore but I prefer the taste of catfish to walleye. Smaller fiddlers are hard to beat but it takes the right coating. Go down south and order fried catfish at some little dive and you will never look at catfish the same again. I like eating walleye and all but good catfish is every bit as good and probably better in my book. For a hint of the right flavor—catch a young channel cat—clean it correctly and go to Fleet Farm and get some Andy’s fish coating and fry it up. Pretty darn good

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

DTWH,

Many folks feel the same way you do. But there’s a few tricks in cleaning that will make you swear you’re eating walleye.

I’m going to guess you’ve had a bad experience?

Certainly do not have to spice them up..not that I’m an expert on cleaning or cooking cats.

Looks like it’s time for a new thread!

And a few of them tricks might be????

Used to clean bullheads many years ago by nailing the heads to a tree and pulling the skin off, worked well till the old man came home and kicked me out of bed at 2am to remove all the fish heads from the tree in the back yard….

There is a easier way…right?

Al

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.