What’s better?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have my thoughts, but I’m going to hold off.

A deep hole off that channel with a lot of wood on the bottom, or a cut bank with a run of trees scattered all down the bank?

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Tough question. Are we fishing during the day or night?

mudcatkid
    On water

Present time I prefer travel corridoors such as a trough with amble current. I feel they are a little more active an mobile at this time – traveling from spot to spot. A similar theory as deer hunting the rut – take advantage of travel corridoors and pinch spots. Buck bedding areas (or flat’s timber holes in this case) can produce, but most action may be in these little travel zones.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Quote:

I have my thoughts, but I’m going to hold off.

A deep hole off that channel with a lot of wood on the bottom, or a cut bank with a run of trees scattered all down the bank?

If I was looking for eaters,I’d fish the scattered trees in the cut bank. Trophies I’d seek the deep hole off channel. jmho

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

both good ..fish em both

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

It depends if you are fishing with rod and reel or noodling for cats.

john_steinhauer
    p4

i would say both lol if it looks good…………try it ya never know

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Cut bank now, deep hole in July/August.

larry_haugh
    MN

Both…. just depends on the time of day and weather and sometimes the fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Present time I prefer travel corridoors such as a trough with amble current. I feel they are a little more active an mobile at this time – traveling from spot to spot. A similar theory as deer hunting the rut – take advantage of travel corridoors and pinch spots. Buck bedding areas (or flat’s timber holes in this case) can produce, but most action may be in these little travel zones.

I think Mud nailed it for this time of year…not that I think the other answers were wrong.

My line of thought is that in the Pre Spawn conditions that we’re in, the cats are moving to the spawning areas (mobile). Fishing the travel lanes will produce more fish this time of year because of this movement.

The deeper “holes” will hold fish, but less and less as they become more aggressive towards each other as the spawn gets closer.

In summary, fishing the head of runs, cuts and other known spawning areas will out produce a “hole” even with the best of cover this time of year catching them as they move in.

IMHO.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

In the river Id bet they lay up during the day under those trees in the main channel. During the night they move into small areas close to the surface that don’t have or very little current, right next to those places they lay during the day and into those edges that have wood on the bottom and sides, slower water feeding on what they can.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I don’t think I’ve had 1/10th the success most of you have but most of the flats I’ve caught have been in relation to rock in some way.

I think many generations of limb lines have maybe changed the fish a little? Promoted certain tendencies?

When you say “deep” what exactly are you talking?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.