Finally a Night Out – – – Part II

• mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Finally a night out “CATTIN'” for this dude last night. It’s been a while and it was a blast. TJ, a good friend from work (who shared the experience with Bret last week) and I hit the water after work yesterday in search of some tasty blue gills for bait and a possible weekend fish fry. We missed ya buddy Bret but …. next time. The gills were not too cooperative at first but with some coaxing and a few moves we had a live well stocked for an evening of “CATTIN'”.

TJ and I decided to set up around 7:30, you know to get our spot, and be in position for the dusk bite. With the boat anchored in about 9′ of water just off a drop in some good current we no sooner had thrown out our first baits when I had a run going, I hadn’t even sat down yet. “This could be a good sign TJ”. That ended up to be a swing and a miss but not too much later another run that yielded a small but feisty cat – alright we didn’t get skunked TJ. Just at dusk I had another good run going which turned into a fun battle and a respectable 14.5 lber. After a picture and release TJ checked his setup and found a small cat “just hangin’ out” at the end of his line. “Alright buddy a double and your first flathead -way to go” Last week Bret wouldn’t let TJ catch any cats but I’m a much more accomodating boater. I know, I’ve been there, sitting in the same boat, Bret catching one after another and wondering what he’s doing different and what am I doing wrong.

A short time later TJ’s clicker started, slowly at first, then quicker, then nothing, then again. He had one messing with his patience but in the end TJ had her hooked, but not too good, as after a good battle she came unbuttoned right at the boat, but with a “good netman” she was soon in the boat, a healthy 11.5 lber. TJ kept saying, I thought she was a goner when I saw that hook come out. Not when you have a good “netman”, right Bret?

After that it just turned off but it was a beautiful night to be out on the river to start the Memorial Day Weekend and share the boat – and a with a good friend and coworker and watch him catch his first two Flatheads on the “sippi”.

Have a great and safe Memorial Day Weekend everyone and remember the true meaning of this holiday and pray for all of our Veterans, past and present,and members of our Armed Forces.

sootie
    arcadia wi,

great way to start a long weekend

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

nICE fish & write up Mike

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Awesome read buddy Mike, Congrats to you both on a fun filled night

I wish I could have been there …oh well, next time.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Great read Mike
    A guy can’t really complain about a night like that…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I wish I could have been there …oh well, next time.

Is there a delayed echo in here?

Looks like a great time. Thanks sharing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.