Time limit?

• cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

So, do any of you expierienced flat chasers have a set time limit while on your favorite or not so favorite cat holes without getting bit or a clicker run? I always seem to get this mindset that if I move from a spot that might “look” good that I’ll miss out on something.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I don’t usually set a time limit until I’m out there. With flats it’s a little bit different then chasing channels. When I’m chasing channels I will move more then when I am chasing flats. With channels I will try to pick 4-6 spots and give each roughly 30-40 minutes until I find them.

With flats I think my bait can sit longer with no hits or clicker runs with a flat nearby, so I tend to leave my flat rod out longer then I would my channel rod. I think patience is key when flat fishing – especially before the spawn when the flats are roaming now and making there way to their spawning beds. Leaving your bait out will allow that roaming flat to pick it up. However, this also holds true when they are spawning – in my experience if you can find those key areas, there is no reason to move your bait around.

Just my .02…

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

My theory this spring is to move right before the fish start biting.

I’d highly suggest it if you are in the market for a therapist.

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

Therapy is about needed for me. I feel like I have moved at the wrong time each night I have been out this year. I dont usually move more than three times when I am out, time limits depend on how the action is, but usually anything over an hour with nothing on either cut bait or live, its time to move.

drto- you got the therapy thing right on the money, this year has been frustrating to start off.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I got out for the first time this season on Pool 2 last night. Only fished one spot as we were to lazy to move…3 hours and nothin’! It’s usually a pretty good spot, kinda figgered they’d be there. Oh well, next time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome to Ido cptyack!

I fished a good snag last night…just a little worried the flow was too fast. When I left at 11 pm I knew the flow was too fast.

Half hour in low confidence spots.

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

Thank you for the welcome. I noticed that the water was flowing quite fast the other night while I was out as well. We did get one good one on but he ran too deep into the snag that we were fishing. I was fishing the Mn and it seemed extremely fast, must have been all the rain the past few days.

dr._flathead

If its a proven spot, I like to wait it out a bit, or move within that spot, but out of it. Make Sense?

If its a new spot hit it, and move on if nothing is happening…….but hit that spot again at a different time of day, faster/slower flow time period, or even different time of year. Chances are if a spot looks like it would hold fish, it probebly does, you just have to figure out WHEN they are going to be there.

…and them are Doctors orders!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Lots of times they hit every other day or feed light one day then heavier the next, they do here. Moving around in an area like said above is a good idea because you might be able to find the snag they are laying under that you can’t see from the surface. When you see boils coming to the surface the snag is upriver aways, fish above that and drift your bait down to where the snag might be.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

Last Sat evening we left the house at 5 pm The river was very muddy and swift. We would move about every 45 min. Every spot I tried it seemed like too much current. We were constantly
    fighting weeds on our lines and the gnats were terrible.
    At 9pm I was about ready to quit but I said, one more spot. I tried an entrance to a backwater slough.Less current and depth of 7 ft. We caught a 31inch 17lb and a 7 lb Flathead in the first 15 min. Had another one on and two more good hits. It does pay to keep moving and trying different things.
    Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.