Looking for old cat fish post or rod suggestions..

• Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Hi all.

Need a little help finding the post about catfish rod suggestions that was on here within the last few months. Reason…my boy is hooked on big fish!!! We went out last friday looking for perch. Didn’t find them so we switched gears and went for redhorse since we were out. He had a blast catching them with the final fish being a 40+ inch sturgeon!!!! Now…all he wants to do is go “turjin” fishing… Man I wish we could have got it in the boat and took a picture!!! IT WAS LONGER THAN HIM!!! Had it at the side of the boat for a few minutes with my buddy being a little girl wondering how to pick it up!!! Put down your purse and pick it up for Pete’s sake!!!

Problem was my walleye rod didn’t like the horse nearly as much as it does 10 inch sauger… Hence the post looking for the post. I am not looking for a big dollar rod/reel combo yet. We will be taking up catfishing this summer and will need a couple rod/reel combos to accomplish this adventure!! Any feedback on personal preference would be appreciated also. This will also be used for sturgeon in the future.

What line do you like to use also? Mono or braided? 30 lb?

Thanks for your posts in advance.

Ted

mnwalleyeangler

i use ugly sticks with shimano corsairs reels on them. i also use 30 lb power pro!!!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Hey Ted, if you’d get your bum up here and help dad and I with these crappies I ve got the perfict cat set up for you spooled with hook line & sinker you bring the beer

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Say when and I am there…

Whiskerkev
    Madison

For channel cat fishing you can’t go wrong with Ugly Sticks either medium or medium heavy. I use MH6 footers. They are inexpensive and mine are on year 7 without an issue. If you want to go after flathead catfish, you mainly want to fish at night with heavy action rods. A lot of people like to use inexpensive musky rods. You don’t need fancy reels but one with a reliable drag is appropriate. Catfishing is a hoot when you get some size to them.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Considering we dont target big cats we have 4 Triumph TRC70MHF accompanied with Abu Garcia 5500 and 6500 reels with power handles spooled with 80lb High Vis Yellow Power Pro.

They work very well for us and double as sturgeon rods, we mainly fish the pool 4 part of the Mississippi river. rods are all new and reels I got off eBay..Average cost per set up is around $165 with line.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Thanks all for your replies. I picked up an ugly stick and an abu garcia today and am fully rigged to boot!! 65 pound on the abu and 30 on the ugly stick. Bring them on!!!

cva54
    on and somtimes in the MN river

first thing real ABU gracia 6500 c3 line power pro 50# or better I use a glow stick buy berkley stay away from the ulgy stick tip to flimsy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.