Catfish, not just for summer!

• EW6

Yesterday while fishing out of Evert’s for walleye my friend Pat snagged on bottom. Thing is he couldn’t get the boat ahead of the snag with the trolling motor so he tried to break his line when the bottom pulled back. 20 minutes later we had it at the boat, I totally wiffed on the first grab and that really pissed it off. 20 minutes after that we had it up for pictures. No tape in the boat and only a rough length compared to a fishing rod that we haven’t measured yet but having landed some big ones last year I’d say somewhere near 50 give or take 10 lbs, experts should give us some estimates but I think the pics speak for themselves.

Now I’ve seen the videos of the sleeping cats and was convinced that there is no way they would bite in the winter. This fish was hooked in the mouth though and most importantly was hooked mid channel many yards out from the tip of the last wing dam. I seriously doubt any catfish is hibernating there with no intention of eating like those piled up cats are. Maybe when hungry they do go on the prowl for a bite. Anyway enjoy the pics.

EW6

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

and most importantly was hooked mid channel many yards out from the tip of the last wing dam.

I have many video clips of one lone cat in the middle of the channel snoozing…they just aren’t as impressive as a pile of 50.

Here’s one of my favorite images of a snoozing cat just waiting to grab a walleye jig.

However…I don’t want to take away the fun you guys had landing it and taking photos. Thanks for not cutting off the cheeks and frying them with onions.

They are a hoot!

Looks like a 50 to me!

You did giver ‘er a kiss before you let ‘er go…right?

EW6

Well that does make a little more sense then. Yep she swam away mad as heck, you can count on us being out there looking to catch her again this summer.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What about the kiss????

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Great fish! See how much fun that was? Now why waste so much time on those white tips?

EW6

Oh don’t you worry I became a convert last year and you can be sure I will spend a lot more time after cats than Walleye come May. The problem is this is the 3rd Flat over 40lbs I’ve had to haul in yet I can’t seem to catch myself one over 15lbs.

No Kiss BK, but I did give her a super cold and wet hug when she gave my lip grab the slip and I had to wrap her up so she wouldn’t take off again!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Thats a BIG kitty

Congrats

I would have given it Brian’s onion bath

mstrumar

And that’s all I have to saw about that….

PS: NICE FISH

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Those guys are just jealous Mary. As we know, the cheeks of a 10 pound walleye taste much better. Still, I just don’t feel right releasing them looking like that. Oh well, we’ll have to do that again this year.

From last years 10.5 pounder….

Two filled me up.

OK…E…no tape, but you found ONE glove!??

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Those guys are just jealous Mary. As we know, the cheeks of a 10 pound walleye taste much better. Still, I just don’t feel right releasing them looking like that. Oh well, we’ll have to do that again this year.

From last years 10.5 pounder….

Two filled me up.

OK…E…no tape, but you found ONE glove!??

What no muskie cheeks

mstrumar

Quote:

Those guys are just jealous Mary. Oh well, we’ll have to do that again this year.

:

No Brian, unfortunately for my Wussy butt I am the jealous one…. I am SOOOOO ready to get out there and kick some cat fish butt….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Muskies have teeth!

Mary, you would have better luck wrapping your line around a paddlefish right now than catching a flathead.

Whether they bite or not.

..but it does give a person the itch…especially with the excitement that EW6 had in his report.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Bob dident you hear 48″ min on muskies this year….most ppl will starve this year you and I will eat like kings though

shawnil

That’s one nice looking fish there…

shawn

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Congratulations EW6, That is a beauty. I hope to catch one that big some day.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Quote:

Bob dident you hear 48″ min on muskies this year….most ppl will starve this year you and I will eat like kings though

WHATEVER!!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

BK, do the vegetables in the garden prefer their walleye deep fried? Do they respond to the grease and breading neutralizing the flavor?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

What no muskie cheeks

Muskies aren’t edible. You’re supposed to throw them on shore.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

All the musky and walleye cheeks aside, That is a sweet incidental catch.

Nice fish, I hope to see her again come June

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Yeah, you can net her for me

shadslayer
    dubuque ia

congrats thats a dandy and id say 50 as well if not a touch more. thats a hog!I’m sure glad to hear that she’s still swimming

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Welcome to Ido Jon!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, you can net her for me

If you know me at all, you will know I get just as excited when someone else catches a big fish. I am just happy to see them, so I would be honored to net it for you, it would only take 8 or 9 wacks with the net

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

it would only take 8 or 9 wacks with the net

This is true!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

If you know me at all, you will know I get just as excited when someone else catches a big fish. I am just happy to see them, so I would be honored to net it for you, it would only take 8 or 9 wacks with the net

LOL. Gaff them. It is quicker than struggling with a net and it is a well known fact, the quicker you get them in the water, the better their chances are to stay alive.

I don’t think that getting excited for other people catching a monster is unique, especially for cat guys. I would never return my bad streak for the times I helped guys bring in some monsters. I got to first try netting and the grabbing a 50ish fish last summer. A couple failed attempts with the net and increasing fear of losing it for him, I got in the water and grabbed the girl by the jaw. I almost felt guilty getting to hold it before him and I probably was just as excited.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Welcome to Ido Ryan!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.