Link to some articles

• shawnil

During time off, I finally took time to fix a few links, add some pictures to my Illinois rivers slideshow, and link to some other pictures and stuff.

I also noticed several of my Procats articles were accessible from the “open internet” (a few pieces always were each issue), so I added an index page to my website. It was just an easy way to add some additional content to my site. The index page also links back to my main index page where the slideshow and other stuff is…

Link to article index

Shawn

ps: I know the Procats experience was frustrating to many due to membership issues, and inconsistent publication. In no way is it my intent to promote them, or make any excuses for all of the management issues. Guess is was not easy to keep a quarterly catfish magazine together over the long haul. There’s my short disclaimer…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You have some very good articles Shawn. Why did you stop writing…or didn’t you?

In my opinion, you might want to move your articles to your site. Reason? Your disclaimer. Just my .02.

shawnil

well, hard to find as much time to write with my current work situation.

If I move to my site, I’d probably redo artwork and pictures. Very time consuming. I might consider if I lose the ability to direct link them.

Tim Scott did the layout for those originally (very well), so I don’t think it would be right to use them in their current format. While I said I would retain the rights to anything I submitted when I started writing, there was never any formal arrangement. Of course, anything published on their site was noted as copyrighted.

It seems like most all internet publishing and message board situations have a lot of politics and egos involved. This is just my opinion and observation (so someone may correct me), but I haven’t noticed hardly any of that here at IDO. I like this place a lot for that reason, and seems to be a lot a good people!

Shawn

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

It seems like most all internet publishing and message board situations have a lot of politics and egos involved. This is just my opinion and observation (so someone may correct me), but I haven’t noticed hardly any of that here at IDO. I like this place a lot for that reason, and seems to be a lot a good people!

Amen. That’s why IDO is my first fishing board stop every day and 95% the only stop.

And in regard to your ps. I don’t know if they are the same people who put out the mag subscription I got who aren’t worth naming, because I wouldn’t want to give them pub, but here’s what I got for them
    Took my money. Deliverer about 4 magazines randomly in 6 months. And those “Catfish Magazines” included stories about catching crappies and hunting. Catfish Tin is you ask me.

shawnil

different group, but i’m sure there were plenty of frustrated members as well. hindsight being 20-20 and all that, it would have been more realistic to do 2 issues a year. Even In-Fisherman coulnd’t keep a quarterly catfish publication going, and they had all that experience.

For my part, i just contributed articles. When things collapsed it was a “hot mess.”

Shawn

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

One of the things you can always count on here at IDo is thread drift….and I am guilty as charged!

I do have to get them a bit of credit though. It was the first time I’ve ever witnessed a website naming names as to who was at fault…at least in their eyes. I don’t know the details, but reading it sure kept a person glued to the article!

I would like to meet Tim some time, he seems down to earth and approachable. Bet he uses no rolls too.

hanson

Quote:

Deliverer about 4 magazines randomly in 6 months. And those “Catfish Magazines” included stories about catching crappies and hunting. Catfish Tin is you ask me.

I bought one of those from the newstand. Can’t recall the name but I chucked it and I know we’re talking about the same rag Pug. What a joke.

Cattin’ may always be a “grass roots” thing, who knows?

Problem with cattin’ is there is nothing to market. Hook, line, and sinker with bait sitting on the bottom. Nothing else to it. Those of us who do it know there is a lot more to it than that but how do you market “how to anchor on a spot” to the general fishing audience.

Problem is when you do mention something different, everyone gets a good chuckle on your behalf on the message boards.

shawnil

Quote:

Those of us who do it know there is a lot more to it than that but how do you market “how to anchor on a spot” to the general fishing audience.

Couldn’t agree with you more. Love the in-fisherman guys, but seems the articles and even pictures got more than a bit repetitive. Really, I think there’s a lot of different angles to cover on catfishing… boat positioning, dealing with current, how to get the most out of your electronics, advantages to different “bait set-ups”, evaluating spots, and of course gear.

But, in the end it’s a lot more of a hands on deal to refine techniques and learn new things. And a lot of it is technique. There was a good article by a guy Turk Grieke (?) about anchoring and positioning…he was a walleye guy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

he was a walleye guy.

RIP Turk!

I think the guys that have been around a while forget that we have a steady stream of new folks viewing posts also. Some that see the photo’s and want to give it a try once and some of those end up going head over heels into catting.

Most of the clients I take out haven’t fished for cats before. Maybe 25% of them have, but not seriously.

I think it’s important to remember the new person, but that will turn off the more experience catters rather quickly.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve probably learned 100Xs more about catfishing here than in the rags I got in the mail. I do like In-Fisherman. </hijack>

shawnil

I hit this thread again in a little project I’m working on… those article links are so dead now I can’t even recover them using archive.org. Good thing I had most all of that stuff saved locally in one format or another!

Captainbrad
    Red River of the North

I think it is an interesting thread from six years ago. In my mind a lot has gone on since 2010 when this thread was started. The industry is taking off and there are so many new ideas out there with ways to catch cats and be better at it.

While it will for the most part remain “hook,line and sinker” it is expanding greatly in knowledge of the fish as well as electronics and applying quality electronics to cat catfish more effectively.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.