Sturgeon rods

• brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Just wondering, do you guys use your cat rods for lake sturgeon on the croix? I usually use my muskie setups but I just got some Berkley big game rods for catfish and wondering if those might be a little better.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Gonna have a lot of replies to this one!

I use my channel cat rods for sturgeon…or is it my sturgeon rods for channel cats?

The St Croix TRC70MHF

Good light tip to see the jibble of a bite and enough back bone to bring in a lunker. Everts price last time I checked was $70. Five year warranty too.

I wouldn’t use this rod with mono. One of the reasons I’ve chosen this rod over others it with the no stretch of PowerPro I can feel if there’s a weed on the line, what type of bottom it is and most of the time if the bait is still on.

If I were to use mono, I would look for a stiffer rod.

Others will tell you there likes and dislikes. As long as it makes them happy, that’s all that counts. BTW- Dean has a try before you buy program at Everts.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I use the Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish rod in the one piece 7′ model, Medium Heavy, rated for 15 – 30 lb line. I use both the casting and spinning version of that rod. Cost is $35 at any WalMart (Stillwater WalMart had some on closeout for $25 last week). Best all around rod I’ve ever used, works perfect for circle hooks. It is the first rod I pick up when heading out sturgeon fishing or after channel cats. By the way – they are a “White” rod.

thebigd25
    st. paul

the ugly stick catfish rods make great channel and sturgeon rods, very tough rod except the guides are a little wimpy but what can you expect for thirty bucks. i think its a good back up rod for just about any cattin needs or for that second rod on border waters.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I wouldn’t use this rod with mono.

I use the same rod with 25lb Big Game mono. Works great. Different strokes for different folks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I stand corrected.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would think the real/line is the most important factor. We use anything laying around for salmon rods but a quality real is absolutely critical.

tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

Gander guide series makes a couple good ones. One is a 7′ MH IM-6 rod one piece for ~$35 and a 7′ 2 piece IM-8 (or 7) MH for $50-60. I have them both and like them both. The spendier rod is slightly favored.

I build an 8’6″ MH St Croix king salmon rod that is the cat’s meow. Long rod, with lots of bend, but good lifting power.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I would think the real/line is the most important factor.

That’s what most would think Mike! I’m glad you said that.

If a person can’t detect a bite the line and reel doesn’t really matter. Most of these fish…and I’m talking the big ones too, bite like a sunfish. That’s the best description I’ve found. So much so, folks like Dtro will hold on to there rods to feel the nibble (good idea). Even though I’ve used circle hooks exclusively for the last several years, I’ve only had two fish that I can recall that bent the rod over when biting.
    There has been times when we are focusing on bringing in a fish and once in, start reeling in the other rods just to find a smaller lake or shovel on the end of the line.

It’s been suggested that there should be a “spring bobber” design made for sturgeon.

Although “anything laying around” will catch a fish…many, many more will be caught using a rod with a soft tip and a solid back end to bring in that big one.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

It’s been suggested that there should be a “spring bobber” design made for sturgeon.

How about a “spring rod holder” to obsorb waves and boat movement?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was refering to the battle itself. Thanks for pointing out that other important aspect when considering the rod BK. That thought never occured to me since my reference only pertained to trolling.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.