New Personal Best….

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Just got back from a great trip with my buddy and son. Had something happen that I’ve never had before. After only about a half hour in a spot, and one small cat, I hooked into a 40 pounder and fought it in – terrific fight in some good current. While I was fighting it, it went over my son’s line and I ended up having him take that rod out of it’s holder to let me get under it to fight it the rest of the way in. So far so good. But when the brute was near the boat, his rod was still getting pulled around. It wasn’t until I landed the fish that I knew for sure he had a hit.

Well, I told him to grab that one while my buddy took some pics of mine and we got it weighed. 40 pounds, as I said. Was pretty pleased with the spot at that point with a brute in the boat and my 12 year old son fighting one that was suddenly starting to act like a big one too. Once he was under the boat, he was not coming up at all.

I held my fish in the water because my buddy (and I) wanted a shot with both fish, and waited for my son to bring his up from the depths. When he finally did, I got a hand in its mouth and held both cats side by side briefly before hauling them into the boat – they looked like twins.

Turns out my son’s fish – his new personal best by 18 pounds, was also a 40 pounder.

Heckuva thing getting a double on 40s!

Coolest part is that he got to catch it completely on his own. If I hadn’t had my hands full, I’d have probably been helping and all over him, but he got to do it himself from the hookset on. Pretty big fish for a 12 year old, but he fought it like a champ.

stuart
    Mn.

WOW Thats great,good job gents!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No Way!!

Twin 40’s! Congrats Ben and Matt!

So much for the “two big fish won’t share an area” thought.

There’s some photo’s for the wall!

sink-her
    Kasson MN

Not a cat fisher man nice set of twins one for the record books good job

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Congrats to you and your son! A great story to boot.

FDR

igotone

WOW
    What a story and pictures to prove it!!

Way 2 guys

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Congrats guys!! What a night.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Now that will fire anybody up!!

Great job in putting the boy and yourself on a couple river monsters

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

The smile on a childs face always tells the story .. Great job on the kitties ,He will remember it for a life time

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That is awesome! A pretty cool way to come to the realization that maybe he doesn’t need so much coaching and and can do it on his own.

Quote:

So much for the “two big fish won’t share an area” thought.

They are done spawning. It was a couple of dudes swapping breeding stories.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Good pictures, two 40 pounders out of the same spot, way to go!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Great Job!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

That deserves a double bow!

A memory that the two of you will share for a lifetime!

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Still smiling I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great story and pics.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Once in a lifetime!

shawnil

I’ve got to ask, what type of habitat was this to hold two fish of such awesome proportions (and gps location lol)?

You guys rocked the boat that night. Double fortys, has to be a once in a lifetime type of experience, or has anyone else acheived that feat? Regardless, incredible job by all involved, and what a great father son outing. His PB could eat my new PB!

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I’ve got to ask, what type of habitat was this to hold two fish of such awesome proportions (and gps location lol)?

My buddy and I were trying to describe the habitat last night. We were saying that it was like the perfect hole you’d find on a little river (we learned how to cat on a small river) except blown up to Mississippi scale. It had everything – long series of submerged wood, deep water, relatively swift current, superdeep water on the backside, and a wingdam on the front side. We’d never fished it, but scouted it out and loved its look. They both hit in about 15′.

prieser
    Byron, MN

How many people can ever say they caught two 40 pounders in one night, let alone have a double. What a night.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Twin 40’s! Congrats Ben and Matt!

Not Ben – Cedric. Nephew Ben was on another pool at the time – haven’t heard how he did… maybe he got a 40 too!

BTW – anyone been noticing the bite ending early? We got these guys at ~8:30 and had all but one of our fish boated by 9:00. We sat and waited until 11:15, but no more action. Was wondering if it’s just the hole we were in, or are they starting their fall pattern already?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

That is one of the best cat pictures I have ever seen. That has to be framed and hung for all to see. Great story and great pic.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

I told my buddy Tom to get a picture of me with my fish and get Cedric fighting his in the shot. There were already smiles all around. Here’s what he came up with:

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Holy Catfish – – – those are awesome. Way to go guys.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

That is an awesome story! Nice fish.

shawnil

Quote:

It had everything – long series of submerged wood, deep water, relatively swift current, superdeep water on the backside, and a wingdam on the front side.

Everything including two monster cats…great scouting! Sound similar to the spot I wanted to fish later last time out right before I whacked the prop. Hopefully, my spot is still there next season when I head back there…not planning any more long trips this year.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

What a pair to draw to sir
    Your son is a lucky boy…In more ways than 1…..

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

That is fantastic. Congrats to both of you, and what a story

Whiskerkev
    Madison

When Matt puts up PB pics everyone listens.

tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

WoW, Congrats

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.