Pool 8 Friday Night Cattin’ Chapter 3

• mikehd
    Dousman, WI

As a follow up to a post Bret Clark put up two weeks ago the Friday night cattin’ on pool 8 has become a weekly ritual for some of us. Neutron and TJ are hooked and last week Bret’s daughter Jamie joined us and caught her first channel cat. After several “swing and a miss” (which I can relate to from previous years ) she finally announced last week, “this it the real thing guys” — and it was. Way to go Jamie. We should have had a picture of proud father and daughter but something happened to the “camera man’s” aim. I’m blaming it on wave action from the “tuna boats” – that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Bret blames it on the barley pops.

This week my boss Marlyn (that’s Marlyn as in Marlyn Brando, not Marilyn Monroe) or should I say soon to be ex-boss (I’m firing him ) joined me in my boat, Bret and Jamie in his boat and Neutron and TJ again in Neutron’s boat. The late afternoon started out pretty windy (on the river a north wind is better than a south wind though) some bait was caught and we were out to an early start draggin cut baits in one of our favorite channels. With a little advice for Marlyn on the difference between reacting to a walleye bite vs. a cat bite he was hooked up on our first drift with a nice 6.5 lb channel. About this time JpMason joined us in the cat floatin’ flotilla. The wind was a bit of a challenge until dark and most of the action seemed to be between about 6 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Marlyn ended up with two more cats, a 4 lb.er and a 7.5 lb.er.

JpMason was keeping his success a secret but I did see him catching several – he’s camera shy I think so no pictures – or he doesn’t want people to see how gray he’s getting. TJ caught his PB, a very nice 10 lber. Jamie caught, I think 3 cats, two before sundown on the main channel until the wind blew them back into the side channel. Hopefully Bret can add those pictures and details to this post. The fish came from various depths between 5’- 6’ and 20’+ so they’re not really concentrated in any one type of water. Neutron and I got skunked again but we agreed it’s always fun seeing someone catch their first cats and personal bests. Way to go Marlyn and TJ – and a newbie continue success, way to go Jamie. We ended the night back out on the main channel once the wind died down, just after dark, drifting one of Bret and my favorite stretches but last night the bite was in side channels. The end of the evening, before heading in for the post fishing wrap up, JpMason, Neutron and TJ provided Marlyn and I with some entertainment when they all got tangled together. The dancing around, bumper boats, and “conversation” coming out of those two boats was funny to say the least – especially when it didn’t involve us. I would have tried to make a movie but this is a General Audience site so …………

As always the evening ended with the boats being put on the trailers and some good conversation in the parking lot rewinding the evening’s events and watching the fog roll in. Great evening Pool 8 Cattin’ guys and Jamie – when we goin’ again????

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Way to get’em Mike……Nice report…….
    Good to know your keeping that Bret dude outta trouble

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not so sure anyone can keep Bret out of trouble, but it’s good to see someone trying!

Good report Mike!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Sounded like a great night on the sipp!

Heck with the poles, I would have had fun just meeting at the landing

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great read buddy Mike

That was a fun trip. Congrats to TJ on his new personal best being over 10pounds

I wish I could have been there when the tangle happened, just knowing everyone the way I do, I bet the parts of the film that would have needed editing were coming from neutron while TJ laughed and Mason took control of the situation…..just a guess from what I know

Like Mike said, Jamie and I thought we were onto something boating 2 fish within 5 minutes on the main channel before getting blown off. After the wind died down we returned to a barren waste land

It still was a fun night guys, glad to see new people get hooked on something different

Pictured here is Jamie from last week, she wouldn’t hold a cat on here own yet this last trip.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

Heck with the poles, I would have had fun just meeting at the landing

Nope, you have to fish if you want to take part in the post cattin’ discussions.

neutron
    Onalaska, Wi

Great report Mike Another night spent chasing cats with some great fishing buddies Thanks to you and Bret for introducing me to a new type of fishing, it’s been alot of fun.

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

I was wondering what all those boats were doing fishing on the west channel at that time of night

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.