What’s a good night?

• krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

I’ve been out cat fishing now 3 times this year (and in my entire life) and am now wondering what really is a good night of cat fishing? The first time out we caught 1 flat (15 lbs), the second time 1 channel (8 lbs), third time a flat (12 lbs) and a channel (7 lbs). We usually go out from around 8:30 – 12:00.

Are we doing alright or should we be catching more numbers? Is a good night 3 or 4 or maybe more? By the way, we are targeting Flatheads. I guess I’m not quite sure if a typical night of cat fishing is comparable to Musky fishing or more like Bass fishing.

Thanks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A good night with Bob Moore<<<

The above link takes you to the best night I’ve had in numbers. That was an exceptional night.

You know it depends on the time of the year. This time of year there will be many that say ONE fish is a good night!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

To answer your question more directly….I feel that if you are catching any flats your first few times out and it’s this time of year…you guys are doing very well!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Most nights I’m happy with 2 fish. Sometimes I get more, sometimes less.

Post-Spawn it’s tough to catch more than 2 and you deal with 1-2 fish nights.

Best night for me was 3 people in the boat and 22 Flats caught.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

A good night is one where you don’t find yourself thinking, “Man I wish I was home on the couch.”

In other words, every night out cattin is a good night.

But to be more to the point, to me even a skunk, if I learned something, doesn’t make it a bad night, although I find I “learn” more when I catch something.

If it’s June, though, you should be catching at least 3 or 4 cats a night, and if it’s August, you should be happy with one or two, and not surprised at none.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I should’ve just waited for that post above me and just said “Ditto” I agree with everything F WI said.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I agree with FWI, but have always wondered why it seems harder to get fish later in the year. Do the fish spread out more with less flow (normally), or are they simply not feeding as aggressively as they are before and after the spawn?

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Yes, at least that is what I believe Farmboy. Flow and level drops and the fish spread out and set up shop so to speak. Hang out in their snag all day then go out and eat for 1-2 hrs/day.

I think that makes it important to hit multiple spots during the post spawn and make sure everything is ready for that sunup/sundown bite.

The other night we sat on a spot longer than normal only because we knew there were a couple of hogs there, but when we didn’t have any action we decided to try and save the night. Within 5 minutes of being at our new spot, we had a 35 in the boat. Had we planned on fishing longer, it probably would have been a good idea to just go hit another spot right after catching that fish, but it was time to quit shortly after anyways so we waited it out and didn’t get another one. I don’t think there are a whole lot of big fish at each spot during this time period, especially snag fishing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yes.

One thing I’ve noticed…if you know a good panfish area, you likely have a good flathead area in the evening.

Just like any other fish or animal. The need water, food and sex. They have the water, done with sex…now it’s just following the food until they start heading back to to their wintering areas.

rushing
    Mn

A good night is one were you are out fishing. If you have good company then you have had a good night. Fish are just a bonus…some times the bonus is big and other times its zero.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Catching is over rated~ Dennis Steele 2006

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

is it a good practice to fish where the shad are schooling up right now? or do flats not chase shad?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Just like any other fish or animal. The need water, food and sex.

Brian, why dont you give us some personal insight on

when/frequency your 3 primary needs are met?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…done with sex…

Hmm, I am starting to fish with a pack of smokes and a TV remote.

The best night I saw was last June when a group of us caught about 20 flatheads one evening fishing from shore. It would have been 23, but I was 1 for 4. I’d get too excited when I saw someone had one on and would leave my fishing rod only to notice it bouncing as I got near the person with the fish on. That was the odd thing that night. We’d have lulls and then 2,3 or 4 bites simultaneously.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I thought a great night was when you get her to pay for dinner and still take care of you afterwards.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mike…your night is coming.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

They have the water, done with sex…

So your saying they are married

Thanks for the thoughts. I equate summer flat patterns to walleyes. Spring finds them in predictable patterns, holding in current seams. As summer progresses, find the food, find the fish.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

As summer progresses, find the food, find the fish.

And if you can find a nice isolated, concentrated pod of food, that’s even better.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I think the calmer water is easier for them to feed in. The result being, they don’t feed for as long of a time and you have to be right on the dot or nothing happens. Good idea? I’d almost think warmer water would make their metabolism speed up and they’d feed more, but from the lack of my pole bending lately, I can see the flaw in that thought.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

Karl I think you are doing all right. I have been out on pool 11 five times all in Aug. I landed my first flat for this season Fri night. I have had fish messing with my bait each time out, lost one after a good fight and had a gigantic gar up to the boat.I have had fun each time out and think I am learning. I plan on nightime flathead fishing several more times this season. I enjoy reading all of the posts on how you guys are doing.

daveho

krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

Great guys, looks like we are doing okay after all! Me and my fishing buddies definitely thought the fish that we have caught have been worth the wait. We’ll be back out tomorrow night, so hopefully our luck keeps up.

Thanks guys.

Karl

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Good luck Northwoods, we’ll have to work on the avatar. At least it isn’t a bass.

shawnil

If I can hit the water and have a nice outing without being bothered by recreational boaters and PWCs, drink some coffee and/or a cold beer, and find a few fish I’m happy.

Shawn

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

If I can hit the water and have a nice outing without being bothered by recreational boaters and PWCs, drink some coffee and/or a cold beer, and find a few fish I’m happy.

Shawn

Coffee’s been my drink of choice this year – it’s been cold at night for almost every trip. Tonight it’s supposed to be down in the 50s. Nothing like a Thermos of coffee to warm you up and keep you alert (until 4 in the morning, like it or not! )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We called it a night at midnight. I’m not sure what the temp was but the fog coming off the river made my bones shiver.

A thermos of coffee came up a couple times.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I’ve been known to take a good idea too far. I discovered the plans for a teeny alcohol stove this year and it’s kinda nice to have some ramens or hot soup at about midnight.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.