This Season

• tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Just thought I would give a run down of how this season has gone for me. This spring(april, may) the channel cats were slow to start and I got several 10-20# flats mostly on cut bait which was weird. Later in the spring the channels really picked up for me with several fish over 10 lbs but the flatheads were very slow with only a few small fish caught. Early summer (june mostly) the channels continued to be great in couple of honey holes. The flatheads on the other hand were non existent. And from then till now I have caught less channel cats but the sizes have been impressive for me anyways. Ther have been only a couple flatheads with the biggest being about 10 lbs.

This has been a very frustrating year for flatheads for me personally. I fish bullheads, chubs, cut, suckers, and few other secret baits, none of which have really produced. I have been to several spots that have produced in the past and several new spots and fished the crap out of all of them.

Just thought i would share my info for the season and would be curious to see what other people are experience. Although its been slow it makes it more of a challenge for me and I have been fishing more this year then ever before.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

This has been the worst summer in recent memory for me. Water temps really change things when they are low. Take consolation, if it was easy we’d have bassholes and walleye guys sitting in our spots.

jhalfen

I guess it’s all about perspective. From my boat’s perspective, it’s been an above average year for cats. Numbers of channels in the teens, with flatheads up to 35#.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

So your guide service is trully mutli-species.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Accidents don’t count. I’ve caught good fish this year, just not the numbers I am used to. Where normally I see 6-10 fish for two people in a night I am seeing 2 and when I do see them, they are not biting as aggressively. We have water temps here 10 degrees or more below normal. Lakes are much more temperature sensitive at least I think so. Mendota cats would take Wissota cats out back and take their lunch money..

larry_haugh
    MN

This year is pretty close on par for numbers for Flats (maybe a little less, but I’ve been fishing less also). Size seems to be a little better than normal.
    The tactics this year are much different than in years past. Due to water conditions, and the weather.
    I know many are struggling for results, but there is also many more people targeting the Cats, I think that can have an impact.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ryan? Have you seen Oki Noodling?

I wonder how long they’ve been doing that?

Helping with the DNR tagging program will help to know how many fish are in our rivers.

I strongly encourage folks to take the time to record the info for the dnr survey.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Ryan? Have you seen Oki Noodling?
    I wonder how long they’ve been doing that?

Noodling…..Kinda makes you wonder why its illegal in every state except 4 in the nation….. and in those states there are rumored to have Flathead extermination programs…… because they feel other fisheries are suffering?

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I guess how you look at your year is all about perspective.

I haven’t caught a 40lb fish yet this year,(several 30lbers). I’ve fished an average of 5 nights a week and have had a ton of fun an laughs, plus, I’ve learned quite a bit.

Big fish or not, I’m having a great year.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Unfortunately for me this turned out to be one of those I didn’t get out as much as I like, but wait until next year type seasons. I have quite a few days off in the kitty though for sturgeon. I’ll have to get those in during the week when the traffic is low and before the bro starts thinking about hunting.

I have to say though it has been a quality year for some species and being there to see someone else haul in a monster. I am not complaining.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

I’ve caught more bass this year than in many previous years combined – seems like there are smallies everywhere out there.

On flats, my numbers are way down, but I did manage a 45 pounder last weekend. I’ve probably averaged twice a week since May. In my best season, I caught about 110 flatheads. It’d take several of this season to make that.

On the plus side, I’ve fished several new spots this year, and although I haven’t been slaying the bigs, we’ve caught fish in every new spot, which is always encouraging.

On the minus side, the fluctuating and cool water temps have made things pretty hard to predict out there – none of the old familiar patterns seem to be setting up too well.

Is anyone getting deepwater flats at the moment?

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Quote:

Unfortunately for me this turned out to be one of those I didn’t get out as much as I like, but wait until next year type seasons.

I hear ya Pug, same for me.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

This season for me I have only been out for times all this week. Last night fished 9pm till 2am. First spot caught a huge gar over 20 lbs. This may be what I am having trouble with the hook set. Second spot is a rip rap bank where I did catch two flats last Aug.No action here tonight. Third spot a sand flat 6 fow below a deep hole that is below a wing dam, no action here. Hope the fishing gets better once water temp gets down to 60 degrees. Should I be trying the deep holes some.

daveho

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I would love to see that over 20lb gar. Any pics?

shawnil

Last year, between floods, busted motors, and scheduling it was hard for me to get out at all.

It’s been much more enjoyable this year… a few more fish, new PB flathead (not saying much, but getting closer to boating my first 20), learned some new water. Did mangle my prop last time out, but I’ll get around to fixing that.

First Mississippi trip in a very long time, and managed first Miss. flatheads…last time i hit the big river it was all about dip baits for channel cats, which can be a lot of fun too…

Shawn

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Quote:

Is anyone getting deepwater flats at the moment?

Yes

larry_haugh
    MN

Whats deep water for you Gocatfish?

shawnil

I was fishing 11-15 on that last trip…that was on a side channel, so it was deep compared to the surrounding areas..

Shawn

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.