My cat tips of the day

• rburns
    Wisconsin

1. Never leave the power switch on in your boat for about 10 days and then take off to a boat ramp 1.5 hours away just before dark.

2. Hide a spare boat key somewhere in you boat because on top of a dead starting battery you will probably have forgotten your boat key.

3. The next day make some 8 gauge cables with ring terminals that are long enough to reach from you trolling motor batteries to your starting battery.

jerry b
    western WI

#4-Buy a Warrior, they build that feature in at the factory sorry, just had to say that. I know how it feels. Mine started the spring off with a dead starting battery. Had it not been for the built in jumper system, I’d had to reload and go home. I carry that home-built jumper system in my other boat, been glad to have it a couple times.jerr

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hey RB – You have just joined the Club. I’ve been there done that. Right after I did it I bought a pair of jumper cables specifically to stay in the boat that reach from the trolling batteries to the starter battery (I’ve had to use them out on the water once late at night so I was really glad I had them). I keep the spare key in a small emergency box along with an extra boat plug, extra spark plugs for the motor, spare fuse assortment, some extra AA batteries for the digital camera, and some spare bulbs for the trailer lights. Its better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Good Luck, Buddy.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Hey RB – You have just joined the Club. I’ve been there done that. Right after I did it I bought a pair of jumper cables specifically to stay in the boat that reach from the trolling batteries to the starter battery (I’ve had to use them out on the water once late at night so I was really glad I had them).

My boat was wire for 24V for the front trolling motor so I set up the extra cables for a jumping system from the front battery…

Quote:

I keep the spare key in a small emergency box along with an extra boat plug, extra spark plugs for the motor, spare fuse assortment, some extra AA batteries for the digital camera, and some spare bulbs for the trailer lights. Its better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Good Luck, Buddy.

You must have been a boyscout as a kid
    I’ll take you advice to heart Steve

Thanks for your tips

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Had to jump start my buddy’s boat just the other night – he hadn’t cleaned his terminals and although he had the battery on the charger for hours, it never got charged. He spent a good part of our bait catching time cleaning his terminals and clamps.

shawnil

Sounds like a real bummer… that’s one nice thing about small outboards…

Shawn

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.