Christmas Present Sturgeon (without the bow)

• tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

Question to ponder… Why do these sturgeon seem to often times wrap up into your line? I’m not saying it happens every time, but in our last outing of 60+ fish I’d say half of them back in with the line somehow wrapped around them. We even had a few fish that were wrapped up like a Christmas present (5+ wraps). Once in a while you could feel the fish unwrap it’s self as you brought it in, but my question still stands….WHY?

I didn’t notice this problem on the Rainy / LOTW as much, nor as often as on the St. Croix.

Is it the angle of the dangle? Current? Eddies/backcurrent? Seams? Boat Sway? Late bite detection? Leader length?

On this particular day we had very little boat sway as there was virtually no wind and 2 25# richter anchors off the front and back…cinched. We had these wraps no matter which direction we placed our bait in respect to our boat (upstream, downstream, cross current). I’ve got to believe that I’m prompt with bite detection as I hold both rods all day long (and these are fairly sensitive rods). I’m setting the hook within a few seconds of recognizing the bite. My leader were 8-10” on a 2oz no roll sinker.

The wrapped fish don’t fight near as well, and really buger up the line so if you find yourself in a similar scenario, check and replace line often.

Have you had this problem, and better yet does anybody have any suggestions on how to avoid Christmas present sturgeon?

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Funny I’ve often pondered the same thing. Last night I caught a 47,48,and 49 all with handheld poles (switched to holding both). Anyways they all wrapped up and came directly up, and caught me by surprise. The first one we landed “green” which was a big mistake epsecially with a bag of Doritos on the floor nearby. That thing turned the Doritos into fish breading faster than you could say “oh sh$&”. What a mess.

The other two I decided to let them unwrap after they surfaced, then the fight was on! Made a big difference.

Another thing I was able to do with the light wind last night was actually feel the fish before they bit. I was straight down and could feel them brush up against my line, then sure enough a fish on seconds later.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Maybe it has something to do with the habitat on the plates not smoothing out as quickly? I really have no idea. It very well might have something to do with the depths we are fishing. superlines get hooked up in those plates quick and sometimes dig in. I have ripped a couple plates off with my line in the boat, seen it dug in underneath the back row many times. Its almost like flying an out of control kite on the end of your line. When the line is wedged into the armor, the fish might be forced into a roll trying to panic and get away.

I caught a baby yesterday that never got hooked.. my line wrapped around near the tail and the hook grasped the line.

I have no idea what the answer to the question is. I do know that sturgeon in warm water fight much differently/harder than cold water fish. Maybe the warmer water = faster movement contributing to this issue. Superlines are much worse than mono for wrapping up.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I just figured it was a natural reaction for hooked sturgeon??? Most the ones we caught started rolling right when they were hooked. It is kind of a buzz kill if they wrap enough times that they can’t fight. Even the ones who didn’t get wrapped up would roll next to the boat if they weren’t tuckered out.

hanson

I’ve had them roll plenty of times on the Rainy & 4-mile bay as well. I don’t think its water temp and its not unique to the St Croix.

Why do sturgeon jump when you are fighting them? I wish they wouldn’t because its too darn exciting!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Of course I haven’t a clue…but do you think it’s because of the sandpaper like skin and the sharp scutes when they were younger?

If they get into some weeds and they started to roll the skin and the scutes would cut the weeds or whatever.

Channel cats roll most all the time..but I ‘spose they don’t have that shnooz to hook the line and start the wrap???

rollin
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Channel cats roll most all the time..but I ‘spose they don’t have that shnooz to hook the line and start the wrap???

Yeah, I think it’s also because their mouth is so underneath their long nose instead of being in front of their head. So, each roll would start a wrap.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.