Pool 8 cattin with the Wife.

• mikehd
    Dousman, WI

This past Friday night was one to remember. The Favorite Wife, Bea, agreed to give nighttime cat fishing a try – after all she’s heard all the stories from Bret Clark and I (believe me she’s heard a lot of stories from Bret and I) about how much fun it is, so why not give it a try – plus she could spend the evening with her Favorite Husband instead of “home alone”. She was a little nervous though asking if she had to put her hand into the cat’s mouth to hold it like Naomi did the week before with her 24 lber and “we’re really going to be fishing after dark?”

We started out in a bay right after work to get some bait (bluegills) but couldn’t keep those darn pesky bass off of our lines. The gills had moved from the previous Friday so the search was on – Bret was also out in his boat doing a search – a successful one I might add. Bea had a blast catching some nice bass and even a small northern and the smallest bass I think I’ve ever seen caught on a hook.

About 8 pm it was time to set up for some catfish – thanks to Bret for sharing a couple of gills so we’d have a few extra. Bret set off for a new spot he wanted to try and Bea and I headed to the spot where Naomi caught the 24 lb flathead the week before. We set up on a weed line in about 4 fow and threw our gills out to about 8 fow where it drops off into 20’+. We then threw out a couple of crawlers for a little action and action we had. Bea had nonstop action with mooneye and channel cats and kept me busy with the net. She thought it was hilarious the sounds the channel cats make when I was unhooking them. We had only 1 run on her bluegill before we left. What a great way for some husband and wife bonding – out on the river on a beautiful evening, fishing.

This is the largest bass of the night for her.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

and the smallest bass I’ve ever seen caught

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

one of the channel cats – I didn’t think she’d actually hold it up for a picture – what a woman.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Here’s the largest channel of the night.
    “oooh it doesn’t have scales, it feels funny”

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great post Mike, think Bea will be going again soon? The look on her face holding them kittens is priceless Way to go Bea! I’m sure them scale-less fish were fun to catch.
    You couldn’t have picked a better night, weather wise for getting out. Just wish the big ones would have been a little more aggressive.
    Next time Bea will put a 20+ in the boat

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Great post–glad to see husband and wife share a new experience. Gotta love night cat fishin!

–Whitey

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Great report Mike I wish I could get my wife out on the water fishing, but she has no interest at all

basshundter
    La Crosse, WI

I hope I have a wife that will go fishing with me sopme day.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Great report Mike. The only problem I see is that your wife seems happy to hold a bass, but not impressed with a cat

You need to keep working on her, she will get used to what a “real” fish feels like

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Bea, those cats are talking to you…they are saying “I love you!” Well, that’s what I think they are saying. Nice report and it is very nice to see a hubby and FW team out catten! Life jackets a persons best friend when you need them, nice to see them in the photos!

Get the ol’ man out there again Bea!

PS bass make very good bait if you’re from WI!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well, did you get her out again this year?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.