Tell me details about the spawn.

• joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Well, that pretty much is my question. Fishing seems to be trailing off a bit for me? Last June in my area just a few fish were caught during the day & I didn’t get any of them. Mostly females? At least one of them was reported to be super huge. All at a dam and most in broad daylight.

Is it time to quit for a while or is that in a week or two? When do they start up again? It seems like I have caught nice channels about when school starts but that is just a guess.

The reason I ask for the real details is because the past few years I did too much sitting in the super hot sweaty evenings catching nothing. Wasting time, bait, gas, bugspray, etc. Thanks guys.

audemp
    Wi

What river/pool are you fishing? Different rivers mean different patterns to some extent.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Here is an excellent article by Keith Sutton which should answer most of your questions concerning catfish spawning. With the water temps now in the 80’s I would not be surprised if the flatheads are in spawning mode. Read this it should provide interesting information:

Understanding the Catfish Spawn

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Good artical. I might have to buy the book to read.

Quote:

Here is an excellent article by Keith Sutton which should answer most of your questions concerning catfish spawning. With the water temps now in the 80’s I would not be surprised if the flatheads are in spawning mode. Read this it should provide interesting information:

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Good artical. I might have to buy the book to read.

Quote:

It is an excellent book, I have it in my library and one of the more interesting ones I’ve enjoyed.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Steve, are you trying to blow me off? Honestly, I wondered what people here thought about fishing the next month. There is a good group of people here that fish a lot. That is a valuable resource. Much moreso than some book written with stuff that I can google myself.

Do you all keep fishing hardcore? Or take a few weeks off? Or two months? Or what?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

LOL, take a few weeks off. I don’t think anyone here is willing to take a break just because the fish are spawning. Plus, if you’d read the article you’d find a very important fact, “And because fish in a system don’t all spawn at the same time, a section of river or lake may contain pre-spawn, spawn and post-spawn catfish.”. The most important thing I keep hearing repeated by the catters here is the most important thing is to put your time in on the water. They aren’t as predictable as other fish and even through the spawn, from on night to the next, they can turn on and off, prefer different bait and different feeding times.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Do you all keep fishing hardcore? Or take a few weeks off? Or two months? Or what?

I think it would be pretty safe to say… Two words.
    “Hard Core” bout the time your ready to say uncle your rewarded with some really good fish. YOu don’t want to miss that.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Steve, are you trying to blow me off? Honestly, I wondered what people here thought about fishing the next month. There is a good group of people here that fish a lot. That is a valuable resource. Much moreso than some book written with stuff that I can google myself.

I just got in from fishing and saw your post. You asked a question and I got you an answer. From now on I’ll just ignore your posts since you didn’t like the response.

I wasn’t blowing you off – I thought you might find the information interesting. I enjoy reading everything I can find about catfishing. It all helps to develop you as a fisherman.

I got skunked tonight, that’s fishing – I fish through the spawn. They don’t all spawn at the same time. You can’t catch fish if your hooks aren’t in the water.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Steve, I don’t mean to offend but the thread clearly did get hijacked. I’m with catdadmn, people here are smart and I want to know what they think.

Catdadmn, I find the channels or flats thing interesting. I’ve heard the idea before but with no context. It makes more sense if it is related to the current situation.

Four channels tonight, all about 4#. I got tired of watching that pole not move. I took the last week off to give it a good try but it seems like I am a bit late.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.