Personal Best Pool 8 Flathead

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

AmWatson and I made a trip out on pool 8 tonight and what an experience it was. This is my personal best Flathead at 54lbs
    We had other slams and Wats had a fish come unbuttoned before getting it to the boat but this girl held on
    The commotion in and along side the boat was something I will never forget. The cat had water flying everywhere before she came in the boat for a picture
    Thanks for a great net job Wats

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

One more pic Great job in the dark with the camera Wats

ggoody
    Mpls MN

OMG….

Thats insane… …..Congrats!!!!!!!

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Very Nice!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I was going to ask how you guy’s did last night…….
    Now I don’t have to!!
    That’s a BEAUTY there Bret…

larry_haugh
    MN

All right Bret!!!!
    Very nice fish Mate! Its pretty neat, the thrashing they do when they are worked up.
    Great pics.
    thanks for sharing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hmmm…wasn’t it about a week ago when you were saying you were having a tough time??

Very nice fish Bret!

And thanks for not holding her by the mouth with an unsupported body!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Wow that thing is a sow .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS I notice the cat wasn’t holding you out too far from it’s body!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

54 pounds is alot of fish, nice catch!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Beautiful fish, Bret
    Patience and perseverance pay off. You earned that fish. You need to put that picture on the mantle above the fireplace. Welcome to the 50+ Club.

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Bret nice catch, this is impressive–John

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice fish! What a monster.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Way to go Buddy Bret. You da man.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Very nice fish Mate! Its pretty neat, the thrashing they do when they are worked up.

The water this girl was moving away from boat side was unreal. I’m sure it could be heard from a long ways. Something I will never forget

Quote:

Hmmm…wasn’t it about a week ago when you were saying you were having a tough time??

Very nice fish Bret!

And thanks for not holding her by the mouth with an unsupported body!

Yep, I was whining
    That cat was handled with tender loving care! Thanks for noticing Brian and making a good point. I can see how something that size needs to be supported.

Quote:

Patience and perseverance pay off. You earned that fish. You need to put that picture on the mantle above the fireplace. Welcome to the 50+ Club.

It felt great to have a plan come together There will be pictures, at home, the office, sent to family…..oh yea, there are pictures.
    I must say, AmWatson did a great job capturing the moment in the dark

Thanks everyone for the atta boy
    Bret

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is an unbelievable fish Bret Even though I was there, I still can’t beleive how heavy and big that fish was
    When she hit, you felt it through the boat, no messing around at all. Then the sweet sound of the clicker. The fish came to the surface several times throughout the fight and made a heck of a racket.
    At the landing I was joking with Bret about the huge net he had for the trip. He said something along the lines of, ” I hope tonight we wish we had a bigger net”. Of course we laughed at that prospect, little did we know. When I first tried to net the fish and it didn’t quite fit, I knew Bret had a BIG fish. Then once we did get it in the net and I couldn’t get it over the side of the boat on my own, then we REALLY knew it was a great fish. I am really happy that that fish hit Bret’s line and not mine. He has worked his tail off searching the area for years trying to find good flat spots. All the long nights, all the no hit nights, and all the frustrations were forgotten last night. We both took guesses on what we thought the fish weighed before putting it on the scale, Bret said around 40# and I guessed 45#, when it hit 54# we realized we were not good at estimating big cats
    After the pics and the fish was released, Bret sat there shaking like a leaf on a tree. All I could say was “Wow”.
    Great fish Bret and you really deserved that trophy for all your hard work and dedication. Thanks for letting me be a part of that night

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Bret,
    I’m not a huge catfisherman, But I’ve done my share of sitting long hours, and I have only been successful a handful of times with 10-15 lbers. I know how hard it is to comeby such a fish as yours and that is awesome! Congrats on a huge fish!!

emover
    Malcom, IA

Congrats Bret!
    Very nice flat
    Good work with the net, camera and story Mike

dave

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

That is one Damn Fine Fish there! WOW! is all I can muster up. It had to be a site to see in person!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Way to go Bret!!!!!!!! Fish of a lifetime and now you start working on the the 60# club!!! Good luck!!!

Great pics, Wats.

Mark

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Congrats on the cat Bret Now that you got the first one they may come easier now!!!!

Ed

justin_panno
    La Crosse, WI

NICE JOB BRET !!! by the way, how long did it take you to get her in??

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

NICE JOB BRET !!! by the way, how long did it take you to get her in??

I would have to let AmWatson answer that one. There were a couple times I told Wats she is just doing what she wants Then there would be another run and another wall of water boiling. It felt like 2 days worth of a battle just waiting for something to go wrong, glad it had a happy ending

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice fish.

hanson

Look at the girth on that thing!!

Big congrats dude!!

No denying thats a 50+!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

That is a nice fish Congrats

Care to share depth of water, cover type, GPS coordinates

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The fish came from 6 foot of water with a surface temp of 68 degrees. There is some current in the area but nothing to speak of. There’s submerged wood and rock in a 30 foot hole approximately 30 some yards from where we were set up. This girl could not resist the offering of a spunky 6 inch gill!

GPS coordinates are unknown AmWatson was blindfold and his life threatened for peeking while making the trip up river

audemp
    Wi

YEAH BABY!!! BEAUTIFUL!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.