Where to cut?

• life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Ok last night I caught a nice little 8 lb. flat that sucked in my hook way to deep to remove. Where do you guys cut your line? As close to the hook as possible or just outside the mouth?

Just curious to see what people do. Or which is better for the fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Here’s a post from IDA Member Tim_ on hook removal from gut hooked fish. This post is in the Mississippie Catfish forum…

Hook Removal from Gut Hooked Fish<<

It look hard, but if you study the photos and read the artical over…then have a chance use it…it pretty darn easy.

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Circumcize the beast just behind the gills, turn the knife 90 degrees, work your way to the tail. Turn it over, repeat. Frying pan, beer batter, peanut oil, YUMMMMM!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Who invited this guy?

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I cut it as close as can. I had one last night. On a 10lb’der.

The gut removal is method is great in theory. If you can see the hook. Mine was gone no visible hook. So we had 2 choices.

Cut the line

Or cook it.

He wasn’t bleeding so we thought cutting the line was the best choice.

Now if he was bleeding really bad I would have cooked it.

mile832
    MN

Even if you cant see the hook, you should still be able to get it out. I’ve done it fairly easily.

If you cant see the hook, pull the line slowly but firmly. Their gullet is very elastic and it will invert slightly until you see the shank. It should not harm the fish if done carefully. Then turn the shank down so the bend is pointing back towards the front of the mouth. Then you can remove the hook like it shows in the “gut hooked” article.

Give it a try next time you may be surprised!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I’ll definately have to try doing this from now on. Oh well, its still light out. Off to the shop to look for more gear

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.